LaCie Updates d2 HDD With USB 3.0, Thunderbolt

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
The only use I see in using Copperpeak with storage devices are multiple HDDs and/or SSDs in RAID. A consumer SSD is unlikely to fill a Copperpeak's bandwidth, nevertheless a HDD.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
There are two or three companies that charge $600-$1000 for an empty Thunderbolt PCI-E chassis box, which consist of:

-Aluminum box with ventilation holes
-Thunderbolt to PCI-E adapter
-75W-100W PSU (for some of the models)
-Thunderbolt cable (a few models don't include cable)

Then again, maybe it's because the vast majority of the computers with a Thunderbolt port are Apple's computers, thus encouraging the manufacturers to attempt to price-gouge their customers.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Using Thunderbolt, you can transfer at 180 MB/s on this external HDD? And what is the current generation of Thunderbolt capable of in terms of speed? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think even USB 3.0 is capable of up to 400 MB/s. By comparison, Thunderbolt is capable of much more, I believe.

G

The limitation is the disk itself. Were this to have a large flash disk, the transfer rates would be much higher

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]JOSHSKORN[/nom]Using Thunderbolt, you can transfer at 180 MB/s on this external HDD? And what is the current generation of Thunderbolt capable of in terms of speed? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think even USB 3.0 is capable of up to 400 MB/s. By comparison, Thunderbolt is capable of much more, I believe.[/citation]

hard to say because i dont know.

thunderbolt may have less overhead than usb3 which would make it faster
i have a usb3 external hdd, and i can say as far as read write speeds go its getting as much as it can get.

now seek time is the part i think you would see the biggest difference through usb and through sata... and i dont know the difference there.

Status
Not open for further replies.