LaCie's Little Big Disk Has Thunderbolt Interface

Status
Not open for further replies.

kilo_17

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2011
This whole Thunderbolt thing sounds kind of nice, but I won't be impressed until I see a product that can actually come close to 10GB/s transfer rates.

[citation][nom]kilo_17[/nom]This whole Thunderbolt thing sounds kind of nice, but I won't be impressed until I see a product that can actually come close to 10GB/s transfer rates.[/citation]

a few sata III's ssd's in raid 0 should do the trick nicely.

larkspur

Distinguished
From the article, "It comes in two varieties: the 1TB model at 7200 rpm for $399.95, and the 2TB version at 5400rpm for $499.95."

How are a couple of spinners in RAID-0 going to utilize thunderbolt bandwidth? LaCie's website lists a more plausible "Little Big Disk" with two Intel 510's in RAID-0. Maybe someone who has a better understanding could explain why they are putting 5400rpm spinners in a thunderbolt chassis? Sounds like putting a Geo Metro engine in a 69 vet.

mavroxur

Distinguished
[citation][nom]kilo_17[/nom]This whole Thunderbolt thing sounds kind of nice, but I won't be impressed until I see a product that can actually come close to 10GB/s transfer rates.[/citation]

It would be nice to see all devices (monitors, external disk drives, etc) using a common bus. Just imagine multiple monitors daisy-chained together and only one connector going to the host. This opens the door for lots of neat ideas. Affordable external video cards for laptops, e.g. use the internal IGP when on the go, and connect a beast of a video card when you get home. I hope this standard takes off.

raqcoon

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2011
LaCie promotes this drive for editing in the field. However, since it apparently is not bus-powered, LaCie does not indicate the voltage requirements other than the AC adapter. I can probably rig up a portable power or portable solar power array if I know the DC(?) voltage required to power this drive. Do you know? That's the deal-breaker for me to purchase or not this expensive drive. Thank you.

larkspur

Distinguished
[citation][nom]mavroxur[/nom]Just imagine multiple monitors daisy-chained together and only one connector going to the host.[/citation]

That is called DisplayPort 1.2 and is technically already here though finding devices that support it is tough.

G

500 bucks for an external 2gb 5400 rpm drive. Oh...available from Apple, never mind.

larkspur

Distinguished
[citation][nom]raqcoon[/nom]LaCie promotes this drive for editing in the field. However, since it apparently is not bus-powered, LaCie does not indicate the voltage requirements other than the AC adapter. I can probably rig up a portable power or portable solar power array if I know the DC(?) voltage required to power this drive. Do you know? That's the deal-breaker for me to purchase or not this expensive drive. Thank you.[/citation]

You should be using a portable SSD if you want to minimize your power consumption. Or you could use a hard disk drive with a low-power external enclosure that is designed to run off a USB port's native power rail (not all USB ports are 'powered'). Look for ones that don't require an AC power adapter. Then you don't have to worry about rigging up power at all.

getreal

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
The Droid Bionic is faulty and emits a high-pitched noise when using the headphone jack. It is either due to lousy hardware (Motorola) or the lousy OS (Android). If you are in the market for a new phone, wait for the new iPhone in October; you will get much faster / more stable hardware and software.

lozz08

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
And then commit suicide for purchasing an Apple product. Hell, the guys who make 'em are committing suicide left right and centre.

kristoffe

Distinguished
BANNED
Jul 15, 2010
total bullshit. lacie has got to be the worst made drives in the history of custom made storage. literally the cheapest piggybacked crap parts inside the whole generation series from way back when till now.

JUNK!

thegadgeteer

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011
[citation][nom]jryan388[/nom]Sick of people advertising bandwidth when the drives can't even break 100MB/s.[/citation]

Sorry? can't even break 100MB/s ? I have the Lacie 2Tb Thunderbolt and it peaks at 190MB/s and I have the Pegasus R4 Thunderbolt and it peaks at 550Mb/s. Where do you get your info from?

Status
Not open for further replies.