Mrky

Prominent
Jul 20, 2020
I've just upgraded my HDD to SDD. I edit photos, so 16GB of RAM was enough for me when I had the system on my old HDD, now, sometimes my PC crashes, and I got the message that Photoshop require more RAM, Mozilla crashes etc. To mention, all my photos are on the second partition on HDD. When I copy them to SDD, it seems fine, I will see if that will happen when I edit them directly from where the system is. does anyone have the idea, why my programs are crashing now when I edit photos from the HDD?

Each disc needs some ram space for cache so it can pre-load stuff for you. those numbers should be in ~120 MB each disc scale so you should not be affected so hard.
what you need is swap file, that will allow some data to go do ssd freeing ram for more urgent things.
instructions:

what you want is custom setting 1000MB to 4000MB on SSD.

never make them on hdd or you will see massive slowdown once it will start to be used.

Reactions: Mrky and CountMike

Mrky

Prominent
Jul 20, 2020
Ok, I will do that as soon as i finish working with some files, like I say, it doesnt crash that often when I edit the photos directly from SSD. I have done this, and report what happened. Thanks Rdslw.

Mrky

Prominent
Jul 20, 2020
Each disc needs some ram space for cache so it can pre-load stuff for you. those numbers should be in ~120 MB each disc scale so you should not be affected so hard.
what you need is swap file, that will allow some data to go do ssd freeing ram for more urgent things.
instructions:

what you want is custom setting 1000MB to 4000MB on SSD.

never make them on hdd or you will see massive slowdown once it will start to be used.

Nope, that haven't resolved the problem.

ok so now I assume you have some swap configured.
if it did not help it means you've set photoshop (or it did by itself) to higher number than your pc can support:
Performance-preferences-new.jpg

Inside their options in tab as seen above you should have this config.
out of 16 GB around 8-9 should be used by PS. check if its configured as above (you might want to lower history states to 40 or 30. less rollback options, less ram eaten.
also you can try out just that default photos button, maybe it's good enough.

there is one more little tweak you can do if you have intel graphics AND dedicated gpu.
in BIOS there is a settings telling IGPU how much ram is dedicated for it.
you can ignore it if you dont feel comfortable with bios edits.
main-qimg-acd197230468a70c0f7f7f5514052a63.webp

config looks like this ^
64MB is a safe value if you have other gpu. And it trades of igpu performance for less reserved ram.
on 32MB I think you will start to have issues, like video stutter.
if you dont have other gpu, you want to have at least 128MB.

Mrky

Prominent
Jul 20, 2020
if it did not help it means you've set photoshop (or it did by itself) to higher number than your pc can support:

out of 16 GB around 8-9 should be used by PS. check if its configured as above (you might want to lower history states to 40 or 30. less rollback options, less ram eaten.

there is one more little tweak you can do if you have intel graphics AND dedicated gpu.

config looks like this ^
64MB is a safe value if you have other gpu. And it trades of igpu performance for less reserved ram.

Yeah, I wont go into BIOS if I dont have to. I have again put the memory between 1000 and 4000 with both Windows and Photoshop and reduced the history states, lets see what happens.

Mrky

Prominent
Jul 20, 2020

config looks like this ^

Nope, Mozilla tabs still crashing, RAM memory is still full at 80 % with one photo open and 4 tabs of Mozilla. PS it eating away my RAM memory!