Lag spikes in Battlefield 1 caused by all my vram being eaten up.

Willibam

Reputable
Jan 20, 2015
I've had no problem playing BF1 until today, where i was getting some quite extreme lag spikes every 5 seconds. I checked MSI afterburner and it told me that about 3000 MB (Saying it was the maximum amount i had) was being used of my vram, even though i have an ASUS Radeon R9 290X DirectCU II which is 4 GB.

I'm pretty sure that this is something that has happened recently, that MSI Afterburner only detected 3 GB, because before i was able to use more than 3 GB of vram.

The AMD Control center is even saying that i have 4 GB but why am i only able to use 3 GB?

The card was bought about 2 years ago.

Solution
Msi afterburner is wrong, it has some issues with amd compatibility. Your core clocks are all over the place, I don't think that's normal it should be a somewhat consistent line. If I had do guess those core clock fluctuations are whats causing your fps drops not the memory. Almost looks like thermal throttling, what are gpu and cpu temps while playing bf1?

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
Where does msi afterburner say you only have 3gb? Screenshot it if you can. BF1 uses 3100mb of VRAM for me on most maps 1080p mostly ultra, with restrict memory usage turned off. I doubt your 290x just decided to lose a gig of ram, not sure what msi afterburner is saying.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
Msi afterburner is wrong, it has some issues with amd compatibility. Your core clocks are all over the place, I don't think that's normal it should be a somewhat consistent line. If I had do guess those core clock fluctuations are whats causing your fps drops not the memory. Almost looks like thermal throttling, what are gpu and cpu temps while playing bf1?

Solution

Willibam

Reputable
Jan 20, 2015

My CPU is running at max. 56c and my GPU is at 69c max.