LAN 101: Networking Basics

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Learn about the glue that holds our networks together in this LAN primer. We cover network types, wired, Wi-Fi, protocols, and alternate networking solutions to deliver a complete picture of traditional and modern local area networks.

LAN 101: Networking Basics : Read more

gerchokas

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2011
Last time I tried to set up a LAN I messed it all up and ended up reconfiguring services and drivers for a good while... Now I just settle for an internet (WiFi) connection for games and the like, and transfer files with a pen-drive. MUCH simpler...

I know a lot of so called "I.T." companies that could learn a thing or two, like how to plug a cable in and how to diagnose a fualty cable/patch point, instead of calling the printer guy out to troubleshoot their network problems for them. IT guys are so lazy sometimes.

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
[citation][nom]LORD_ORION[/nom]OK seriously, you cannot even do a book prize internationally?Lame.You suck etc...[/citation]

Nope, we can't unfortunately. The same tax laws and rules that apply to $100 motherboards and $1000 CPUs also apply to $60 books.

A letter to your congressman about our ridiculous tax laws would be more productive ;)

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

Lol, I accept that explanation readily, as much as I hate all these kick-ass US-only draws. Taxes are a party crasher...

soccerdocks

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
[citation][nom]jryan388[/nom]I was under the impression that cat6 cable was required for gigabit ethernet...[/citation]

I was too. But it sounds like as long as your CAT5e cable is short enough it will work. Although probably not optimally.

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
Cat5e is fine for gigabit. I've had runs over 300ft work fine at 1Gb speeds.

I didn't read very carefully but I didn't see anything in the wifi section about true transmission speeds. 54g will only net you 18-24Mb at the best, consistently. Fastest I've gotten outa any N gear is just shy of 250Mb/sec. And that was with high end Cisco gear at very short distance. Wireless is just too fickle for real high bandwidth stuff.

I've been in the network provider (ISP) field for over 15 years. Anyone has any questions, just ask me. ;) Ok don't really, I don't have the time!

sysa

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2011
I did a little checking and found out that the 6200 series processors are Interlagos.
17.gif

PhoneyVirus

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
I have this book 10 feet from me but I'm not aloud with it until Christmas because the girlfriend would kill me, the only way I could look at it is I would have to where a pair of rubber gloves so there wouldn't be any finger prints on the hard cover and not to break the book in so I'll wait until Christmas and it can't come fast enough.

Also amk-aka-phantom this book should be on your book shelf and NOT Bookmarked in the browser, Read this book remember all you can build your self a system, Read Microsoft Windows Inside Out, Remember your Keyboard Short Cuts aka Run Commands, Conquer the Command prompt, program simple VBScripts, Batch files and you will have no problem running a little PC Repair shop.

PhoneyVirus

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

Umm... thank you, but I know enough about PCs and networking without any books.

Status
Not open for further replies.