LAN 102: Network Hardware And Assembly

Status
Not open for further replies.

KelvinTy

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011
O... I thought all CAT5 are able to transmit 1000Mbps signals BEFORE reading this article... It's kind of weird ~_~" that I can get 5.X MB/s download speed = ="

Don could you talk to Chris A and Joe and see if we could give a few hard copies of this book away as prizes for some of our users here in the forums who work hard to help others?

How about a copy for each of the users who make the top ranks for the month of November ... under the Hardware sections of the forums?

:)

JasonAkkerman

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2008
They make it look like making a cable it so easy, and it is, after the first few tries. Also, making one or two cables isn't too bad, but don't let yourself get talked into making 50 two foot patch cables. Your finger tips will never forgive you.

xx_pemdas_xx

Distinguished
May 23, 2011
[citation][nom]JasonAkkerman[/nom]They make it look like making a cable it so easy, and it is, after the first few tries. Also, making one or two cables isn't too bad, but don't let yourself get talked into making 50 two foot patch cables. Your finger tips will never forgive you.[/citation]
I got talked into making 10...

spookyman

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2011
[citation][nom]JasonAkkerman[/nom]They make it look like making a cable it so easy, and it is, after the first few tries. Also, making one or two cables isn't too bad, but don't let yourself get talked into making 50 two foot patch cables. Your finger tips will never forgive you.[/citation]

Oh I don't know. I have made several thousand patch cord over the past 18 years.

All you need is a high quality crimper, good cutters and small screw driver. You are set.

silveralien81

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2011
This was a great article. In fact it inspired me to buy the book. I'm happy to report that the rest of the book is just as well written. Very educational. A top notch reference.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
Read the first page. Seems like well written stuff, but not exactly written for my type of user. Also it seems to be igoring a lot of stuff. For instance it sais the network runs at the speed of the slowest component and will figure it out on its own. This isn't true. If you run a pair of 1000TX capable nics on old cat 5 cable (without the e), it'll still attempt to run at that speed, despite the massive crc errors it might generate. Also, if you're running on 'old gigabit hardware' it won't nessecarily have support for 10Base-T speeds. Also, not all firmware has autonegotiate or automdix support, thus you sometimes have to specificly set the speed between links. This is mainly for fiber links though, which seem to have been ignored entirely.

Anyway. As I said, I think it's well written and probably quite suitable for people who don't know anything about networks (except it seems to assume people know the osi model). I'll go see if the other chapters are equaly basic.

fixxxer07

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
[citation][nom]kelvinty[/nom]O... I thought all CAT5 are able to transmit 1000Mbps signals BEFORE reading this article... It's kind of weird ~_~" that I can get 5.X MB/s download speed = ="[/citation]

5 MBps = 40 Mbps... so it's not that weird. xD

dthurber

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011
Great article with lots of information. The crossover cable mentioned would work for 10/100, but for gigabit ethernet you must also crossover the blue and brown pairs. Unlike 10/100 ethernet, gigabit ethernet uses all eight conductors.

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
[citation][nom]reynod[/nom]Don could you talk to Chris A and Joe and see if we could give a few hard copies of this book away as prizes for some of our users here in the forums who work hard to help others?How about a copy for each of the users who make the top ranks for the month of November ... under the Hardware sections of the forums?[/citation]

Heya Reynod,

We had access to 10 copies of it for a contest that ran with the first few pieces of the book, but those were given away already.

I agree that it's a great idea to reward the most active forum users, though. I'll get together with Joe and see if there's anything we can do there!

Have a great weekend,
Chris

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
patch cables of those small lengths you just buy readymade - they're more sturdy anyway, and you can get them as any cable type (cat5e, 6a etc) .. and long's you don't add old cat5 or mix shielded with unshielded, cables really are the least difficult part of network building - although cisco want you to believe otherwise.

juanc

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
Either I'm missing to read something or the article on page 3 does not note, that to make Patch Cables you must use a different type, multi-filament copper cable instead of the standard in-wall one-wire solid copper conductors that get cut when you crimp. Huge mistake

juanc

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
Shielded twisted pair (STP) refers to the amount of insulation around the cluster of wires

There is no "amount" it does have a shield.

it was first thought that shielding the cable from external interference was the best way to reduce interference and provide for greater transmission speeds. However, it was discovered that twisting the pairs of wires is a more effective way to prevent interference

No. Shielding is better. But the trick on twisting is that we are talking about "differential" signals. If not, twisting would be useless. Twisting to cables cancel each others emissions and emissions from other places to the cable are canceled too.

10GBE pros say you should not wire UTP but only STP.

Need cable lengths longer than the lengths you can buy preassembled

Never buy preassembled cables. Can't assemble cable as I said before on mono-filament cable.
One filament wires can't be twisted or take turns or >90 degrees. There's a big chance they can break. Can't wire thru a pipes with the RJ45 plug on it.

Use Jacks. Buy machine assembled/tested multi-filament patch cords from the jack to the computer/router/printer/switch, whatever.

Slothy

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2010
I read this article as it was linked in the power supply guide posting, which I thought (on perusing it quickly) seemed rather well done. However, this article is so attrocious (both in inaccuracies and it's horribly outdated information) that it draws into doubt the quality of the original article that brought me here. I'm not just some Joe going off on a rant without knowing a thing, and my apologies as I am sure that this was likely intended for average Joe who doesn't have a strong base in networking, but even for that, it could have been written immensely better. I don't know if the author is to blame or the technical editor.

First off, as a disclaimer, I didn't bother reading the wireless section. Stuff has been changing too rapidly the past few years to even bother, and it is ultimately so simple nowadays that you shouldn't even have to bother with the wireles options. What I did see of wireless information (such as range) was horribly inaccurate. In my experience with most indoor environments, you'll be lucky if you get a *reliable* signal at a fraction of the 150 feet he mentions.

Simple advice for wireless: Buy a dual-radio N-capable wireless router and then decide if you're going to use N-capable internal wireless cards or USB dongles for any devices you have that do not include integrated wireless. Be warned that in my experience, many wireless routers designed for home use work fine for wireless devices accessing the internet, but when attempting to transfer data between a wired and wireless device, the router will act as a bottleneck, often running at speeds lower than what standard (10 Mbps) ethernet will provide. If you plan on hooking up a device such as a home server or NAS device to your home wireless router, be careful what you pick and either fork out the money for a higher-end SOHO/SMB device or read your reviews thoroughly and ensure that you're getting exactly that device (down to the revision number even, sometimes).

This article clutters the users mind with unnecessary information and technical details which to knowledgeable persons will already be apparent, and recognized as often incorrect; and for the unknowegeable reader - incorrect and irrelevant but taken as true. To rattle off a few
-switches and hubs, while sharing some features (they're small, blockish and have multiple ports) are also different at an operational level - switches are OSI layer 2 devices, while hubs are electrical devices operating at OSI layer 1.
-Packets do not get where they need to go because of MAC addresses; frames get where they need to go thanks to MAC addresses while packets are at OSI layer 3 and utilize IP addresses for routing.
-If you want to see your MAC address via ipconfig, use ipconfig/all. ipconfig on its own will not provide you with this information.

If I wanted to take a closer read or go through it again, I'm sure I could pull out atleast as many errors as I listed above, but I've gotten enough of my steam out about someone publishing yet more outdated and erroneous technical info or advice in the realm of networking and IT. Please, if you're going to write a tech article, do it with a purpose, stay true to it, make sure you have your stuff down pat, and damn well update it if you're going to re-publish it.

No one cares about coaxial ethernet anymore, unless you're over the hill or working in some industrial environment with networked machinery, in which case I hope you're not getting your expertise from this article.

PS. I'd still like to say thanks to Tom's Hardware and that they're an invaluable resource - not just for their reviews and articles, but for the user community they have generated as well. But with that said - is it just me, or is Tom's IT site just one big stream of advertisements in the guise of articles, news stories, and white papers?

G

why are you using blue and brown wires even though they are of no use?

Status
Not open for further replies.