Question Lan Connection between two computers for gaming

Sep 17, 2019
Dear users, im at the point of madness its impossible for me to set up a lan connection to play together with a friend on 2 computers. last i did it with windows xp i think but back in the days it was no problem. But nowadays i am not capable of i spent a whole day watched youtube videos made everything changed the ip on both pcs only thing i wasnt able because i have no secpol.msc, to change to private network. could it be that this is the magic key?
Please help me im so frustrated, that this is so difficult :/
Thanks in advance

Sep 17, 2019
thanks for response, i have tried it with just sticking the ethernet lan cable into the two computers but it didnt work and also i tried it with a Netgear Cable/SSL Web Safe Router RP614 v4 (put one lan cable into it from Pc1 and the other from Pc2) but it didnt work in the second case it just showed me the Router in network and always directed me to the internet page of Netgear.
i hope you can help me if some special Router or ethernet cables are needed nowadays feel free to advice me some. Thanks a lot in advance

kanewolf

Titan
It will be simplest with the router. That will provide IP addresses for the two computers and a switch in between. The next thing to verify is that DHCP is enabled on each PC. Open a CMD.EXE window and type ipconfig.exe /all Look at the results. You should see 192.168.x.y addresses on the ethernet adapter for the two computers. If that is true, then in that same cmd.exe window you should be able to ping the other computer's IP address.

Reactions: Johnsen212
Sep 17, 2019
Thx, but just to get sure i have to type the ip adress of the router into both pcs (internet protocol properties - use the following ip adresse)? with exact the same number or should the last on both pcs be different for example router 192.168.1.1 -- Pc1 192.168.1.2 Pc2 192.168.1.3 ?
when i am in the ipconfix.exe how do i ping the computers IP address? or will this only be able if everything went right till this point?
so the switch is really needed? means 2 ethernet cable from 2 pc to a switch and from the switch one cable to the router?
is the purpose of the router to give both internet or just the IP?
if i got it right please be so kind and give me the exact steps i have to follow on the pcs.
thank you so much and sorry for bothering you with such a thing and silly questions.
thanks a thousand times

Sep 17, 2019
so i tried it the whole day again short before madness. wont get into my head why from all human on earth i have the problem for setting up a proper lan connection :/. I dissabled Firewall on both pc. Made it via the Router enabled all sharings, auto detection, private network, i did everything you can find in wiki or netdorktor etc all pages which deal with this stuff, but all i achieved was that on one of the pcs my files were possible to see and access but on the other pc there was nothing shown in the network except the Router which wasnt possible to access because it was used on the other desktop and my product agent for windows (Bitdefender which got turn off). The strange thing was that within the Router options both pcs were shown as connected but in real there was just a one way or semi or whatever connection just strange *. And as soon i tried to enter the IP adresses on my own everything was gone.
Please i beg you help me to set up this damn lan connection.