Lan Setup: Plz Tell me if im on the right track?

rognorak

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2002
Hello All,

Im looking to set up A Lan at home connected to my cable modem. I want wired and wireless capability, so I was considering a Linksys BEFSRU31 to be my home router for internet connection sharing, and then getting a wap11 so I can add wireless capability for the laptops in the house. I assume I would then need a WPC11 for each laptop.

Also, I thought i read somewhere that wireless access points ruin the NAT functionality (for internet connection sharing) Is this true?? Is there any way I can have the above described setup with internet conection Sharing enabled?

Thanks
Mike

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
WAP do not ruin NAT. Your setup will work fine. You don't have to get the same vendor wireless NIC, as long as they are 802.11b they will work.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

kwebb68

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2002
When you mention "internet conection Sharing enabled?" it sounds like you think you'd be using Windows ICS with the router, which is not the case. Maybe that's what you were reading about. There is no need to use broadband sharing software when you already have a hardware device to handle those duties.

AP's are just wireless hubs. They just pass data. While you can certainly get two seperate devices, router and AP, you'll spend about twice as much money as buying an integrated combo unit. You do lose some function flexibility when buying AP/Router combos but if you don't plan on expanding much it shouldn't come into play.