Question LAN suddenly slow for the last week

Mar 24, 2019
Hello.
Lately, my computer's network suddenly became very slow (used to be and average of around 50mbps, and now the average is around 1-2mbps). My rig doesn't have a wireless card so I had no way to see if the same occurs with wifi, however when I connected the LAN cable to my 2 laptops, both started working slow (the usual speed of my wifi is around 40 mbps, now it also went down to 1-2mbps).
The only explanation I can think of is that the cable might be damaged (it's fairly old, around 5 years old I believe) but it seems a bit bizarre that it works, as it shouldn't have functioned at all if the cable was truly damaged, no?
My question is, will replacing the LAN cable fix the problem? Or does the issue arises from something else?

(Also, I've made all the proper checks like seeing that my OS is updated, that my drivers are updated, etc...)

Cheers!

Depends how you are checking it. If you mean when you copy files between machines inside your house then it likely is a cable. If you mean on something like speedtest that could be the internet connection to your house has a issue.

Maybe the best first test is to copy some file between your pc and your laptop and see what rate you get. You should be able to see the speeds in the resource monitor network tab. Be careful some are in BYTES/SEC so look closely

AtkinsFriendly

Reputable
May 26, 2015
not necessarily. Damaged cables usually results in auto-negotiating speed issues, such reducing your 10/100/1000 connection to 10/100, but that still well above the 1-2mbs you're getting.

So on your laptops, are you getting the average 40mbps when using wifi and only having problems with the wire?

Another test is to change ports on your router or try a new cable.