LAN to LAN extending home network

deiks

Honorable
Jun 20, 2018
Hey guys,

I have some strange issue that want to share with you. At my homeplace, I have router that I got from our telecom which is Iskratel Innbox V50-U, using WIFI, Ethernet, everyting fine on that side.

Months ago, I tried to extend my local network to share on other side of my house becouse I can't reach WIFI becouse of walls and long distance. Regulary I took UTP cable which is 15-20 meters long. On other side there's TP-LINK TP-WR740N. Problem is that I can't connect to another router and on my phone it says No internet connection.

I have tried two different ways. Turning DHCP off to leave main router to solve IP addresses, and separating to another subnet as well. Same issue is with both of ways. Seems like everything is ok, if I remove cable from WAN/LAN1 (depends of which way using), I can connect to router, but if there's cable connected, there's problem.

In first place I thought that cable is bad, since it's not in 1 piece, I made it from 3 pieces since it goes under roof, through walls etc, but properly made with RJ45 connectors. That I tried directly with my laptop, and works fine, obtained IP address in part of second. So I throw out that opinion about bad cable.

Another thing that I tried yesterday, I brought both routers in same room, and connected directly from main router (Iskratel) to second (TP-Link) and, oh I forgot to mention, there's switch between those two since my main router have 4 LAN ports but 3 of them are reserved for STB for TVs, and 4th port is extended with switch to have more than one ethernet port since I need it for Desktop PC and maybe to add one more extra router for another floor of my house, will see. That everything works fine becouse PC ethernet is connected to switch and also that option that I tried yesterday was going over switch. But let's back to yesterday thing.

I tried to config it to separate subnet via WAN port and seems like everyhing works fine, address is obtained, everything OK with cable of 1 meter. Then I took it and move to desired place and connected with that 15-20 meters long cable, and expected that it will work but it just say WAN port is unplugged.

I was wondering what can couse that, is that cable is too long, or maybe problem is that it's from 3 pieces, but remember that I mentioned that it works fine directly on my laptop LAN port.

On first place when I created network like this, it worked fine, after few days it stopped working, but some time after that I started working again by itself, and guess, stopped again.

And yes, just remembered, I've tried same thing on one piece cable for another floor which is about 12 meters long and same thing happen.

What are your opinions? Is my router (second - TP-Link) bad? Do I need to replace it? Strange thing is that it works on 1 meter cable.

Every clue is good to start with.

Best regards.

Lots of stuff here. You should be able to go 100 meters with ethernet with no issues. If you have splices/connectors in the path it will be slightly less but in most cases it makes no difference you can detect.

The method you want to use is to run the second router as a AP. You want to plug to the LAN port on the remote router and disable the DHCP and then set the lan ip to not conflict.

If your problem is you do not get lights then it is likely some issue with the cable. Be sure your router or switch does not have silly power save options on. Still that mostly works and the problems are with the cable.

If you have lights and it just does not work then its much harder to say but it can be the second router interfering in some way mostly if you forget to change the lan ip address.

Be sure you are using copper cable. That CCA cable is not certified cable and has a lot more problems running at distance.

deiks

Honorable
Jun 20, 2018

Thanks for reply.

I can't see any "power save option". You mentioned that problem could be with cable. What about that option that works directly from main router (switch) to laptop over that cable.

Cables can be very strange. Some devices tolerate out of spec cable more than others. Sometimes it is a physical thing based on how the plug fits in the jack others it is something like the resistance of the cable is too high because some connection is bad.

Unfortunately the tools that can really test cables are so expensive only professional installers can afford them.

It seldom is the cable itself unless say a mouse chewed on it. It is almost always the ends so all most people can do is blindly try to replace them.

After that you start suspecting bad jacks in equipment but that is luckily very uncommon