Build Complete Lapping and servicing a Corsair H110

alphadogg123

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
So my corsair h110 has been misbehaving recently after upgrading to a ryzen 5800x from a intel QTJ1 I wasnt getting very good temperatures with idle temperatures mostly at 52C and slowly going down to 36C, load at 78-80C across all cores. After lapping and servicing the idle temps went down to a consistent 31C idle and load at 68-78C on best and worst cores.
Heres what I did
  1. After removing the cooler it was obvious the cooler wasnt sitting flat against the IHS with the a thin layer of paste in the centre.
    AcrXbSQ.jpg
  2. Since ryzen 5000 has a unique die layout having a thin area of paste thats going to dry out quickly its well worth lapping to remove bulged high spot in the centre of the water block
    lGYomTR.jpg
  3. I went through grades P240, P400, 2 sheets of p800, P1200 wet sanding on an old glass desk with duct tape to hold the sheets down. As you see sanding with P240 immediately removed the high spot in the centre of the copper block.
    O3Sz4NF.jpg
  4. After moving through the rest of the grades I got to a smooth surface without any low spots in the areas of contact only around some the block screws.
    6L82F7v.jpg
  5. Test mounting the block the paste looks a lot better but I think there needs to be more mounting pressure to properly spread the paste but this is definitely an improvment.
    BVA4Uwn.jpg
  6. While I had the cooler out I decided to inspect the fins on the other side of the copper block and found a nice deposit of aluminium shavings presumably left from machining. I used pressure from a running tap to remove these from the delicate fins.
    AklmlN1.jpg
  7. Temperatures where immediately better taking much longer to hit max temps.
    zZMBnMs.jpg

Edit I'm using an old x370-pro it runs well but turns out the VRM runs hot so its going to be worth adding some fans, also the x370 chipset runs hot and theres mosfets around it that also run hot.
    6wPN0R0.png
    XCL0k4e.jpg
    yPygrHP.png

Last edited:
Its a shame you didnt run any tests of just lapping the water block, then again with the metal shavings removed. Hard to say for certain how much temps were affected by each aspect.
Personally, if I saw shaving like that in my waterblock id trash the thing, thats just plain unacceptable. Who knows what kind of shavings could end up degrading the pump, end up lodged again, or speed up galvanic corrosion thats bound to happen eventually.
Glad it worked out though.

alphadogg123

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
Its a shame you didnt run any tests of just lapping the water block, then again with the metal shavings removed. Hard to say for certain how much temps were affected by each aspect.
Personally, if I saw shaving like that in my waterblock id trash the thing, thats just plain unacceptable. Who knows what kind of shavings could end up degrading the pump, end up lodged again, or speed up galvanic corrosion thats bound to happen eventually.
Glad it worked out though.
I didn't intend on uploading anything just ended up taking photos througout but all cores were pinned at 78-80C before, since they were so close I assumed the PBO profile was limiting each core clock.
I've had the cooler for 5 years after buying it used and had already spent time and money lapping the block, the pump turbine is plastic, block is copper so it was obviously from the rad worst it could is die and system turn off. I was much more bothered about a leak from my potentially 9yo cooler pipes after lapping and flexing them.