Question Laptop ASUS ROG GL553VD doesnt recognize M.2 SSD

barnabas.666

Prominent
Feb 28, 2020
Hello,

Im trying to upgrade my laptop ASUS ROG GL553VD with M.2 SSD (Crucial P5 500GB M.2 SSD • PCIe NVMe Gen 3 • 3400 MB/s Read, 3000 MB/s Write). According to this scanner result it should be available upgrade for this laptop:

crucial system scan results

But my BIOS doesnt recognize it. I have latest version of BIOS 308. I even tried to remove HDD to see if there isnt any conflict with this device but still nothing.

Any idea where could be the problem?

Thanks for any help :)

SoumithCS

Reputable
Oct 6, 2020
Try to boot in UEFI mode I think?.. Because new Nvme drives are not resgistered as active have no appropriate FS blocks. Or insert into other working PC and follow below steps
  • Open the Start Menu and search for Command Prompt (CMD). Right Click on the app and select “Run as administrator”. You can also use DiskPart in Windows PowerShell, if you so desire.
  • Type diskpart and press Enter.
  • Type list disk to show all the connected drives on the computer.
  • Then select the Nvme drive by typing select disk x (X is the disk number in table)
  • Type clean to wipe ALL the data in the drive. Please be reminded that everything on the selected drive will be deleted permanently.
  • Type create partition primary to create a new partition in the cleaned drive.
  • Type format fs=ntfs to format the partition
  • Wait 15 to 30 minutes for it to finish the formatting. Do not remove the drive, unless it is 100% completed
  • If you use windows in uefi mode then type convert gpt and press Enter before creating primary partition.

Last edited:

barnabas.666

Prominent
Feb 28, 2020
Hi again,

sorry I didnt write anything earlier but I was still solving this problem somehow.

First I borrowed that ASUS and M.2 SSD PCIe to local store which I used to buy this SSD. They provide some support (repair PC, laptop). I told them history about this, they tried to connect that SSD to different laptops and tried some different settings for that mine ASUS but with same result = no detect. I have another laptop Lenovo Legion Y520 and this one had no problem to detect this SSD.

After that I bought WD Blue 500 GB M.2 SSD SATA. Again I tried to put it inside my ASUS but with same result = no detect. But there was some strange thing because even my Lenovo wasnt able to detect this SSD SATA. So I returned that SSD SATA back to store where I bought it. Later they confirmed this SSD SATA was OK (otherwise they wouldn't even return my money).

But I kept that first M.2 SSD PCIe because I decided to put it in my Lenovo laptop instead of another old SSD PCIe which was there from beginning. Because I was running OS Windows from that old SSD PCIe I decided to buy for this exchange external M.2 SSD box Axagon EEM2-UG2 and used AOMEI Backupper software to clone OS. But first I was curious what happen when I try to connect that M.2 SSD PCIe inside of external box using USB to ASUS laptop. To my surprise it had no problem to detect that SSD...

So next step was to try use that M.2 SSD PCIe inside external box using USB-C and connect it to ASUS laptop and boot OS Windows from that. Maybe not best idea boot OS through USB-C but... So I used that AOMEI Backupper software to clone OS (later I tried even clone whole HDD), everything seemed OK in Windows, all disc parts and files were created/copyed there but when I tried to boot from that external box there was always like 30-40 seconds attempt to run OS, that screen with small circle in the middle appeared but after that fail - inaccessible boot device. There was neverending loop with this fail -> automated reset -> fail -> automated reset...

After that I just simply returned to one step before, I used that M.2 SSD PCIe to exchange it with that old M.2 SSD PCIe in my Lenovo laptop. Everything was OK (If I dont count 2 BSOD like 1-2 weeks after exchange).

OK, back to ASUS. I bought Samsung SSD 870 QVO 1TB SATAIII 2,5" and simply exchanged it for old HDD. Its not best solution, its only SATA but you know I have no power for another neverending attempts.

According to this site which I knew from beginning but I wasnt sure which information I could believe, there is big chance that ASUS laptop doesnt support M.2 SSD PCIe. And what can I say from my endless experiments with my ASUS laptop so it looks like my ASUS has completely broken M.2 slot...