[SOLVED] Laptop audio issue

Nov 17, 2020
Good day all,

I'm not sure if this has been brought up but I have a strange issue though I may have an idea why.

I own a Toshiba laptop, Satellite L655-S5103 which has separate mic and headphone ports. At one time I owned a set of Skull Candy headphones with the built in mic and volume control. I found that it worked in the headphone port and I initially had no issue with it, until one day my laptop said it found no audio device installed. My assumption is that the 3 stripe jack on the headphones damaged the stereo port in the laptop.

I got one of those USB soundcard things with the headphone and microphone port which apparently plays surround audio when anything is plugged into it, but I rectified that by running it mono. The odd thing is I own a set of Logitech x-530 speakers with separate front, rear and center 3.5mm jacks. When I connect 1 to the USB card and one to the laptop I got proper stereo sound from the USB option. Recently I connected all the speakers to subwoofer and for some reason, I get audio playing out of the laptop port and the USB card port simultaneously. Yet with the USB card disconnected the laptop says no audio device found.

So apparently the audio on the laptop works but only when the USB card is plugged in and in use.

It's driving me crazy and I cant understand how this is even possible.

Any ideas?

Also, would it be possible to replace the 3.5mm port in the laptop? And would anyone know if that would rectify the "no audio device found" issue?

Thanks in advance and my apologies for the long post.

Solution
Good day all,

I'm not sure if this has been brought up but I have a strange issue though I may have an idea why.

I own a Toshiba laptop, Satellite L655-S5103 which has separate mic and headphone ports. At one time I owned a set of Skull Candy headphones with the built in mic and volume control. I found that it worked in the headphone port and I initially had no issue with it, until one day my laptop said it found no audio device installed. My assumption is that the 3 stripe jack on the headphones damaged the stereo port in the laptop.

I got one of those USB soundcard things with the headphone and microphone port which apparently plays surround audio when anything is plugged into it, but I rectified that by running it mono. The...
Nov 20, 2020
Good day all,

I got one of those USB soundcard things with the headphone and microphone port which apparently plays surround audio when anything is plugged into it, but I rectified that by running it mono. The odd thing is I own a set of Logitech x-530 speakers with separate front, rear and center 3.5mm jacks. When I connect 1 to the USB card and one to the laptop I got proper stereo sound from the USB option. Recently I connected all the speakers to subwoofer and for some reason, I get audio playing out of the laptop port and the USB card port simultaneously. Yet with the USB card disconnected the laptop says no audio device found.

So apparently the audio on the laptop works but only when the USB card is plugged in and in use.

It's driving me crazy and I cant understand how this is even possible.

Any ideas?

Also, would it be possible to replace the 3.5mm port in the laptop? And would anyone know if that would rectify the "no audio device found" issue?

Thanks in advance and my apologies for the long post.
Might be some sort of sowtware driver issue. Try reinstalling (try updating first) the audio drivers. Other then that there is nothing I can suggest other than a new FRESH windows.
Hope that helps.

Best Regards

Solution