Laptop battery failure

PaulDesmond

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2016
Hi. New to laptops (Asus A516 15.6in). If I close the lid of the laptop, what happens to open files. Does the laptop just go to sleep and you don’t loose anything, and what happens if the battery runs down. Does the laptop go into a controlled shut down and save any opened files or do you loose all your changes? As I said, I am new to laptops.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Last edited:

PaulDesmond

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2016
"it may enter a low power mode"
But Zero is Zero. Maybe I should open a file make changes then go to bed and see what happens. I have also looked at "what it does when you close the lid " link and have gone into advanced settings.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
its possible windows will sense the low battery state and put PC into hibernation until the time comes it gets more power

that is what Dells do

Windows senses low battery and Puts your Laptop in Hibernation. Hibernation means all your RAM data switches to hard drive and laptop shutsdown. Next time you turn on All data gets transferred back to RAM and you could resume your work.
link

How to set windows 10 to hibernate when power is low - link

Customize low battery warnings - link

have a look here under battery saver - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...8e-c8d2-6c75-8ffe6ea3ea99#Category=Windows_10

Last edited:
"it may enter a low power mode"
But Zero is Zero. Maybe I should open a file make changes then go to bed and see what happens. I have also looked at "what it does when you close the lid " link and have gone into advanced settings.

A good idea is to save any files you care about saving before you walk away from the computer, or turn on autosave feature in the program you are using, pretty much all have that option.

The default option in laptops for Windows I believe is it'll go to sleep, and then if the battery gets below 5%, it'll go into hibernate. Chances are as well, when it sleeps, it also prepares itself for hibernating anyway.

Hibernate is the computer shutting down, but the state of the OS was saved to disk, so it's basically like sleep, it just takes longer to "wake up."