[SOLVED] Laptop battery registers, but does not provide power or charge.

JeppeSchultz

Honorable
Jul 7, 2014
Hi,

Laptop is an Acer V3-372-55PS.

I recently dropped my laptop from a height of about 50 centimeters. After the drop the battery would work as normal, except for when i applied pressure on some parts of the laptop (for example the handrests, right above the battery), then it would just completely power off. As this is an old laptop i don't really care if it lives or dies, but i am interested in trying to fix it. I therefore opened it (i am not a technician of any kind, but i can follow guides on youtube). I noticed that the connection (the battery connector) marked on this image was not entirely straightly plugged in. I figured that it had gotten loose when i dropped it, and took it completely out and replugged it. After doing this the battery works 0% percent of the time ;)

The laptop works with no issues when i power it on using the power adapter. I can also see the battery is at 94% charge when the computer is powered on (but as soon as i unplug the power adapter, it shuts off). If i unplug the battery connection, no battery is visible in Windows. It seems to me that the connection is partly damaged, allowing me to see battery status but not charge the battery or draw power from it.

The battery worked fine untill i dropped the laptop. Any suggestions on what i can do is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time,
Jeppe.

Solution
Seems there is some physical damage with the battery connections. There is no simple way to say "push this connector and it will work", the system has to be looked over.