[SOLVED] Laptop can't boot from recovery media (DRIVER PNP WATCHDOG)

Status
Not open for further replies.

D de Lancey

Honorable
Jul 13, 2015
I have an Asus ROG running Windows 10.

Upon start up the laptop goes to what I perceive to be an infinite loop at the Asus Logo screen with the windows wait sign, after a few minutes it goes to a BSOD and then restarts the whole process.

The BSOD error code is DRIVER PNP WATCHDOG.

I get the same error when attempting to boot from a USB windows recovery and a DVD windows recovery.
(The DVD drive can be heard spinning)

Both recovery media can be booted from on alternative computers.

Without the ability to go into recovery I have no idea where to begin.

Please help me Lords of Tech you are my only hope.

Solution
First I would want to determine if its a hardware problem versus a software problem. I would try booting from a usb with a Linux live distro (e.g. Linux Mint Mate or Ubuntu etc.) to see what hardware is working. If you can boot from Linux and examine the internal drives, you can get a clue as to whether you can salvage any of your data files. If not a complete wipe of the internal drives and reinstall of Windows would have to be considered. But you need to verify what hardware is working first.
First I would want to determine if its a hardware problem versus a software problem. I would try booting from a usb with a Linux live distro (e.g. Linux Mint Mate or Ubuntu etc.) to see what hardware is working. If you can boot from Linux and examine the internal drives, you can get a clue as to whether you can salvage any of your data files. If not a complete wipe of the internal drives and reinstall of Windows would have to be considered. But you need to verify what hardware is working first.

Reactions: D de Lancey
Solution

D de Lancey

Honorable
Jul 13, 2015

Phew I do not know how to do that, but I'll give it a shot

D de Lancey

Honorable
Jul 13, 2015
I have now created an Ubuntu boot drive , and this actually manages to boot up and load.
I am at the installation screen , Awaiting further instructions.
(side note: the track pad is non functioning but an external mouse is)

I have now created an Ubuntu boot drive , and this actually manages to boot up and load.
I am at the installation screen , Awaiting further instructions.
(side note: the track pad is non functioning but an external mouse is)
Skip the Ubuntu installation and just use the Try option. Use Ubuntu's file manager to examine your disk drive and retrieve any essential files. Move essential files off of your disk drive and prepare for a fresh install of windows.

D de Lancey

Honorable
Jul 13, 2015
Hi sorry I'm taking so long having an enormous amount of tiny little roadblocks.

Once I start Installing windows from the Ubuntu USB. Will the installation process wipe clean
a)Alternative Partitions on the Main SSD boot drive
b) Data on a separate non boot hard disk.

The installer will only overwrite partitions on the main ssd. (Actually when you operate the installer, it will show the old partitions are in the way and you will need to use the Delete option to remove them). If you trust Microsoft, the data on the separate hard disk should not be touched. But since most of us do not trust Microsoft it would be prudent to disconnect the non boot hard disk to protect your data.

D de Lancey

Honorable
Jul 13, 2015
Okay. I'm now super confused I've finally managed to back everything up and download the windows 10 ISO (this took forever because of unstable internet and restarts.)

And know I have no clue how to actually install from ubuntu because its a setup.exe which Linux doesn't recognize.

How do I actually Install windows.

(apologies linux might as well be written in French for me).

Last edited by a moderator:

D de Lancey

Honorable
Jul 13, 2015
Phew OK FINALLY SUCCEEDED windows loads and boots, now I have to reinstall everything :mad:. Thank you for all your help.

BTW Rufus doesnt work on linux so I used Unetboot.

(PS I don't Know how to close the thread)

Reactions: dwd999
Status
Not open for further replies.