laptop car chargers

migillicutty

Honorable
Aug 17, 2014
Hello all, I have an MSI GT72 Dominator Pro 047 laptop. I will be traveling on the road soon for work and will be needing to use my laptop while in the field. The laptop in question only has about a 2 hour life span and I am looking for a car charger/power adapter. I have read that using the wrong one my cause damage to my computer and while looking on line I have found several for specific laptop manufactures (i.e. dell, hp ect.) I was wondering if you guys might know of a good brand or model to purchase that wont cause any damage to my computer. The laptop has a 9 cell battery and the power source specs are 230 Watts. If you need any other info I will be checking back in on this post for the next few hours. Thanks in advance for any and all help!!!!

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i use a simple power converter to do this type of stuff in the car. these are the ones that plug inot the 12v socket and give you a normal wall plug to plug it into. just get one that can handle the power draw (they are rated in wattage) and should be less than $20 at walmart or any similar store.

it'll simply sit on the floor and allow you to keep the laptop plugged in while in the car. at least this is how i always did it rather than the expensive laptop specific adapters they sell.

Just a quick search shows a couple Dell models rated at 90w. I think what you are going to find is that the 12v outlet in your vehicle is not going to put out enough amperage for anything more than that. I have seen some cheap inverters that claim that much wattage but end up in blown fuses. You can charge the battery for sure from 90w but you won't be able to run and charge at the same time. You may need to consider a hardwired inverter for your vehicle.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
^^^^^^ that's exactly what i'm talking about as well :)

300w or more in one should be plenty to run and charge at the same time no problem. no danger to the laptop or it's battery with these unless the car gets struck by lightning while using it :D

This one looks pretty good, may have to get one myself <.< One thing I did notice is there is no input current listed. Best to confirm that before purchase. There is no standard in the 12v outlet fusing in vehicles, anywhere from 15A to 25A, depending on the age (newer vehicles are higher usually due to the demand for such high power devices).

migillicutty

Honorable
Aug 17, 2014
You guys are awesome!!! I looked at the Bestek and almost bought it and then saw a review that stated it might fry my laptop. I'm glad I asked before purchasing because it looks like the best option and getting conformation from all you nice folks really helps out as well. Thanks for taking the time.