Question Laptop Charging Issue

Zahid Makda

Distinguished
May 25, 2014
Hi there readers,
I have a very old toshiba laptop. ive noticed something a little strange recently. When it's plugged in to charge, the laptop charing light comes on for about 10-20 secs... then turns off. (whether laptop if turned on or off same issue) basically it only charges for 10-20 secs then stops. if it take out the charging pin and reinsert it, itll charge again for a few secs then stop.

however, if i remove the battery and then run the laptop off the mains power, it will work fine. hence i dont think theres any issue with he cable to pin...]

any suggestion please?

It sounds like your battery is dead. They only recharge so many times. How many times is unknowable. That depends on your recharging environment.

Get a new battery if you want to run it on batteries.

Generally speaking, you want to keep it on outlet power whenever possible and only run it on the battery when necessary.

Generally speaking, you want to keep it on outlet power whenever possible and only run it on the battery when necessary.
Not the case. For maximum life it is generally considered best to keep a typical laptop battery between 20-80%. 100% charge is a high stress state for the battery and keeping it their for long periods will decrease it’s life. I’ve had at least 3 laptops now that have an option to automatically stop the battery charging before 100% specifically for people who mainly use the laptop plugged in.