Question Laptop Charging/ Power issue

Bobby_44

Commendable
Nov 28, 2016
I have an Asus laptop that is giving a strange problem. When doing anything with high GPU, the charge symbol goes from plugged in and charging to battery and then the battery drains quickly.
I can unplug the charger/ power adapter from the laptop and plug it back in and the charge symbol does not come back, however if I disconnect the power adapter from the wall and then plug it back in, all charging functions come back as normal.
I monitor heat on the GPU, Ram and CPU and all temps are around 50 C.
Could this be a battery issue or something with the adapter since the adapter need to be unplugged from the wall before returning to normal function?
I have worked on computers for many years and have never encountered this before. To me this seems to be a current issue and my suspicions are either the adapter or the battery but I am leaning toward adapter with a current draw issue.

Bobby_44

Commendable
Nov 28, 2016
Problem solved!!! I replaced the charger and all is good. The Laptop would draw more current as the laptop was being used, since when it is plugged in, the circuit bypasses the battery. Thus drawing all current from the charger. The charger, because it was failing would overload and shut down and automatically switch to battery, which was also a weak battery. I also replaced the battery and the unit is back to working as it should.