Question Laptop CPU crashing under load ?

Jul 20, 2024
Hello everyone,
This is my last resort after failing countless attempts at fixing this issue. A few years ago I purchased a Clevo laptop equipped with an Intel i7-10875H CPU and an Nvidia RTX 2070 Max-Q GPU with the hope of doing some gaming among other things. Immediately I noticed it heating up a lot, but that was a minor concern. Bigger issue was that from time to time during gaming the laptop crashed completely with a nasty screen and a horrible sound, like if the soundtrack got stuck on a few milliseconds loop. The only "command" that works then is killing the laptop by keeping the power button pressed.

51c4cc1d-fdec-4517-8942-adb30f444f88.jpg
2779ab63-9c58-42c7-80b4-d53eb781ddeb.jpg

During the years I tried re-installing windows and I messed up a lot with Nvidia drivers, but nothing would work. Now, I recently decided to play The Last of Us, and I had very big problems.
I can't say why exactly, but sometimes I can play one hour or so, sometimes (like right now) no more than 10 minutes before the crash happens. I must admit that my room is quite hot (31°C), but I'm still not too sure that it's a thermal problem. I am almost completely ruling out the GPU, since playing different banchmarks with Unigine Heaven didn't re-create the problem, whereas sometimes I had this issue happening when trying to share my screen with MS Teams (I had it happen twice).

Among the things I tried in the past week:
- Tried reading HWinfo logs, seems like I do have quite some thermal throttling
- Changed thermal paste to CPU and GPU
- Placed ice bricks under my laptop
- Undervolted -70mV
- Underpowered the CPU through ThrottleStop from 45W-90W peak to 30W-35W peak

I still get the same issue after all the above. I managed to catch one of these crashes on log with HWinfo, if anyone's interested in taking a look here.

My system info are the following:
Clevo PC50D
Windows 10 Pro
Intel i7-10875H
RTX 2070 Max-Q
32 Gb RAM DDR4 Hyper-x

Last edited: