[SOLVED] Laptop CPU Upgrade

Ton_Xan

Prominent
Jun 4, 2019
Hello,

I've got a laptop that I want to use for work. Mainly just browser work. I have a desktop but it is overkill for the work that I am doing and consumes so much electricity.

My laptop model is Toshiba Satellite C655-S9501D. It has an intel celeron 925 processor which is a single core processor. chipset is GL40. I would like to upgrade it to at least a core2duo, slap in an ssd as well. This is the link for the product support page containing the manual: https://support.dynabook.com/support/modelHome?freeText=2926056

I saw a youtube video for Satellite c655-s5082 from intel celeron 900 to core2duo t8300. I wonder if the same processor or the t8100 will work on mine. Yes I have already opened my laptops insides and found that the cpu is NOT soldered into the board and is therefore replaceable.

Any advise is very much appreciated.

Okay, I can't seem to find much in basic searches so I'm going to tell you what you need to know to figure this out.

First, you need to find the part number for the motherboard for both the laptop you have and the one you saw in the video. You should be able to find these in a parts listing in the back of a service manual, so you need to find the service manuals and download them.

Once you have the service manuals, you might also be able to see what the maximum factory processor was for the motherboards. This might not be the absolute maximum because newer processors would not have been tested.

Once you have that information, post it here and then I'll tell you what would be next based on what that information tells me.

Reactions: Ton_Xan
Either the T8100 or the T8300 should work fine, The 8300 is a little qucker. It would seem the quickest you could get (staying with 35w) would be the T9900 ... it should work but there's no guaranties when it comes to swapping CPUs and it's a little 'pricey' compared to the other 2.

Reactions: Ton_Xan
Either the T8100 or the T8300 should work fine, The 8300 is a little qucker. It would seem the quickest you could get (staying with 35w) would be the T9900 ... it should work but there's no guaranties when it comes to swapping CPUs and it's a little 'pricey' compared to the other 2.
How can you say this for sure?

T8300 is a lot quicker--almost 20% single thread improvement over the T8100:
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compar...00-vs-Intel-Celeron-925/1006vs1007vs1014vs666

The T9900 uses a faster fsb so it probably won't work:

But without proper chipset and bios support, no upgrade will work. And I couldn't quickly find any evidence that any upgrades work.

Ton_Xan

Prominent
Jun 4, 2019

I am not sure if I would go the T9900 route because the GL40 chipset only allows 800mhz fsb and the T9900 has a faster one. So my bets are in the T8300 or T8100. T8100 is actually significantly cheaper here in my country than T8300. Thanks for the advise!

Ton_Xan

Prominent
Jun 4, 2019
Okay, I can't seem to find much in basic searches so I'm going to tell you what you need to know to figure this out.

First, you need to find the part number for the motherboard for both the laptop you have and the one you saw in the video. You should be able to find these in a parts listing in the back of a service manual, so you need to find the service manuals and download them.

Once you have the service manuals, you might also be able to see what the maximum factory processor was for the motherboards. This might not be the absolute maximum because newer processors would not have been tested.

Once you have that information, post it here and then I'll tell you what would be next based on what that information tells me.

Thanks!

I could not find a service manual. All I could find was the specifications manual that is in the Toshiba support site.

Ton_Xan

Prominent
Jun 4, 2019
How can you say this for sure?

T8300 is a lot quicker--almost 20% single thread improvement over the T8100:
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compar...00-vs-Intel-Celeron-925/1006vs1007vs1014vs666

The T9900 uses a faster fsb so it probably won't work:

But without proper chipset and bios support, no upgrade will work. And I couldn't quickly find any evidence that any upgrades work.

I guess I'll have to buy the t8100 which is the cheapest and see if it will work. Its just around $4 to $5 here so not much of a loss.

Thanks. I will update this thread as soon as the chip arrives.

I guess I'll have to buy the t8100 which is the cheapest and see if it will work. Its just around $4 to $5 here so not much of a loss.

Thanks. I will update this thread as soon as the chip arrives.
That is definitely cheap enough to try with enough gain to be worth it. Just make sure it is a genuine used chip and not some fake. The fakes may not work.

It is when you've found someone else that's done it.

Certainly it increases the probability of success but unfortunately not all claims of someone having done something are true.

I can't remember the details of your laptop but ... if the CMOS battery is in difficult-to-reach spot ... while you have it apart to replace the cpu would be an ideal time to replace the battery ... if it's a standard CR2032 that's should only cost $1 or so. Also, give the cooling system (fan etc) a good clean.

Ton_Xan

Prominent
Jun 4, 2019
Update:

Chip arrived today. I immediately installed it and it works. No problems so far. If anyone ever stumbles upon this and have the exact same issue I hope it helps. YES Core 2 DUO T8100 works as an upgrade from Celeron 925 on Toshiba C655 laptop. Will now install an SSD and some additional ram!! Thanks everyone for your input!