laptop crashes after waking from sleep

tanjib

Reputable
Dec 17, 2015
Hi , I have an HP laptop running windows 10 Home Premium 64 bit . Everything was running well until I put my pc into sleep . Then during waking up black screen appeared for about 10 seconds then suddenly restarted unexpectedly and its happening everytime I put my pc into sleep .

How can I fix this ?

Solution
Alright finally made it worked .

Thanks for your kind help.

Uninstalled and reinstalled those drivers freshly and disabled the amd driver from safe mode . Only running on intel driver .

Now sleep mode is working fine .

morinookuni123

Commendable
Jan 19, 2017
Check the event viewer and see what is happening. Do you have any programs open when the computer goes to sleep? What power option is the laptop in, balanced, performance, battery saver? Have you installed anything lately? Updated drivers?

tanjib

Reputable
Dec 17, 2015
Thanks for the reply .
Yes , I keep some programs open such as Microsoft Word . The power option is set to balanced .

I upgraded to windows 10 from windows 7 64 bit and windows update updated my the whole system including my switchable graphics drivers .

I have opened event viewer but how to check ?

morinookuni123

Commendable
Jan 19, 2017

I cant imagine Microsoft word keeping the computer from waking up, that program isn't very intensive on the machine. I would recommend setting your power option to performance if your battery in your machine is pretty good.. You'll get the extra juice from it and can still set the sleep options.

Was there anything new that happened to the laptop when these problems started happening? new program install, new windows update, anything?

In event viewer you will see the main tab called "Even Viewer (Local)" and below that you will see categories "custom views" "windows logs" etc etc....click and highlight the "event viewer (local)"

and in the middle of the window you will see "Overview" and below that you will see "Summary of Administrative Event", this is the one you'll want.

Look for errors from the "Last hour" and the "24 Hours" in the "Critical" and "Error" sections, you will have some errors, this is normal but need to go through then and see which ones are the more damaging.

Expand these two and go through them and you will see the "Event ID" next to the names, those event ids are what will tell you whats going on...well that and google.com

tanjib

Reputable
Dec 17, 2015
Alright I have found two errors . I don't know which one. The errors are

ESRV_SVC_QUEENCREEK event id - 2

and

Kernel-EventTracing event id- 3

I think my switchable graphics is causing the problem ( intel hd graphics + ati mobility radeon hd 5000 series )

What to do ?

morinookuni123

Commendable
Jan 19, 2017
It could be the switchable graphics. You need to go to the "Power Options" in the "Control Panel", where you get the list of "Power Plans". Click "Change plan settings" and then "Change advanced power settings". Go to "PCI Express", "LInk State Power Management" and set it to "Off".

The ESRV_SVC_QUEENCREEK event id - 2 could also be causing so troubles, do these steps to fix this error.
Press Windows + R Keys of your keyboard, 
Type services.msc
Hit enter.
Now, scroll down and right click on the ESRV_SVC_QUEENCREEK service and select properties Click on Stop.
On the startup type, select Disabled.
Click on Apply -> OK.
Restart your PC.

Another thing I am seeing from people is that it could be a corrupt file of some kind.
Open Command prompt with administrator rights to do this:
Hit the windows key and type in "Command prompt" and right click on the icon and select "Run as Administrator"
once Command opens up,
(Windows 10 only) type in DISM /ONLINE /CLEANUP-IMAGE /RESTOREHEALTH
(Windows 7 and 10) type in SFC /SCANNOW
(Windows 7 and 10) type in CHKDSK /F C: this will check the hard drive for errors but will require a reboot and it does it before starting to windows

tanjib

Reputable
Dec 17, 2015
Sorry for the late reply .

Still it didn't work .

I found that the problem is occurring when there is any program open and its waking up smoothly when there is no program running .

morinookuni123

Commendable
Jan 19, 2017

Shame those ideas didn't work, try this one. This one will turn off the hibernation, but the computer will go into sleep mode. The idea behind this test is to see how the computer will do when it wakes up from sleep, if it wakes up without any problems may have a bug somewhere in your system. if it continues to have the problem then I am leaning more towards the bios needing to be updated.

For any application to cause this issue is odd, makes it difficult to narrow down what program it is or whats causing it.
To turn off hibernation:
Open Command prompt in Administrative mode with "Windows Key" type in Command Prompt, right click and select "Run As Administrator"

Then type in powercfg /h off (you can always turn this back on with powercfg /h on)

Then put your laptop to sleep and wake it up and see what happens.
What kind of Antivirus do you have?

tanjib

Reputable
Dec 17, 2015
No , I am not hibernating my pc . Infact there is no option for hibernation .

The pc is crashing during waking up from sleep mode not hibernation .

I am using the windows 10 built in antivirus . No additional antivirus is installed .

And sorry for disturbing you again and again .

morinookuni123

Commendable
Jan 19, 2017

Your not disturbing me, in fact this is a good challenge that I'm interested in knowing the solution too.
(I am a junior IT tech so I'm still learning, graduated college twice with IT degrees but they never teach the small things like this. so the more I figure out and know the better off I am)

With that said I did some digging in my books and online and found a few more ideas. The first one is setting your power options back to their defaults.

I should have asked this before but, do you have any keyboards, mouse, monitor, speakers, or anything at all connected to your laptop? If you do, disconnect everything from your computer and see if that changes anything.

1) Open command prompt (as administrator) and type in:
powercfg –restoredefaultschemes

2) Uninstall (not update like we did before) the video drivers and reinstall them after restart
On the keyboard hit the "windows key" and type in "Device Manager"
Then go to "Display Adapters" and right click on each adapter in the drop down menu and click on "Uninstall", if you are prompted with a window that says "Confirm Device Uninstall" you will see a check box that says "Delete the driver software for this device" click the box to say yes and click "OK".
After that uninstalls, restart the laptop go back into device manager and back to the "Display Adapters" and click on "Update Driver Software".

It could be that your drivers or software is out of date and windows isn't picking it up, by uninstalling it and then updating it should automatically pull the newest version.
If these two ideas do not work, then we need to start looking at hardware problems instead of software.
A lot of people are saying that the video cards that are going back in their laptops will start doing things similar to whats happening to yours.

tanjib

Reputable
Dec 17, 2015
HP Pavilion DM4 1101tx .

Windows 7 :
My pc came with windows 7 preinstalled and in windows 7 graphics driver was ( intel HD graphics + ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470 ).and I reinstalled windows 7 freshly and after that the screen used to go blank when I switched into high performance gpu . So I could never use the high performance GPU .What caused it ?

Windows 10 :
But in windows 10 , windows update delivered AMD Mobility Radeon HD 5000 series and now there are some issues with sleep mode .

I think the drivers are conflicting with each other ( intel and AMD ) .

morinookuni123

Commendable
Jan 19, 2017

I completely agree, absolutely sounds like a driver issue again. Intel and AMD have always been at war, in more ways than one since the beginning of time lol. Its hard to say what caused it without looking at the laptop, there are so many things that will cause problems with a computer, sometime obvious sometimes not so much.
From what I know of the laptop already my guess would be is that the high performance power option had a setting in there that it did not like that it had turned on or off. Which setting is hard to say but you can go through the list of settings that you can fix.
* can do "windows key" type in "Power options" click on "Edit power options" then click "Change advanced power settings", this is where you can compare the settings between balanced and high performance to see which settings are changed.
Did you try step #2 from the previous post I sent about uninstalling the drivers? That step there will uninstall the intel and amd drivers.

Step 1: Uninstall (not update like we did before) the video drivers.
On the keyboard hit the "windows key" and type in "Device Manager"
Then go to "Display Adapters" and right click on each adapter in the drop down menu and click on "Uninstall",
if you are prompted with a window that says "Confirm Device Uninstall" you will see a check box that says "Delete the driver software for this device"
click the box to say yes and click "OK".
After that uninstalls, restart the laptop
**Do not go back to the device manager and update the graphics, we will do this in the next steps**

Step 2: Hit the "Windows Key" and type in "Uninstall program" and something should come up that says "Change or remove a program" click on that and go through the list from the window that pops up for "Intel HD Graphics Driver" or anything that is a driver for your graphics.
**there may not be much there, if anything at all**

Step 3: After you completely uninstall your drivers, go to this link
http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/latest-catalyst-windows-beta.aspx

Step 4: And download and install : AMD Catalyst™ 15.11.1 Beta Driver for Windows® 10, Windows 8.1 & Windows 7 64-bit

**it is under the area of The AMD Catalyst™ 15.11.1 Beta Driver can be downloaded from the following links one of the first links you will see**

Step 5: After you do that restart your computer.

if it is a driver issue this should fix it because after these steps there will be no more lingering drivers from intel or AMD, except for the one you just installed (the version 15.11.1).

morinookuni123

Commendable
Jan 19, 2017

Yeah, everything. getting rid of all the drivers for the graphics, to both graphics will ensure that its starting off fresh and without being conflicted by the other graphics driver

tanjib

Reputable
Dec 17, 2015
Alright finally made it worked .

Thanks for your kind help.

Uninstalled and reinstalled those drivers freshly and disabled the amd driver from safe mode . Only running on intel driver .

Now sleep mode is working fine .

Solution

morinookuni123

Commendable
Jan 19, 2017

Sorry for the late reply, went out of town for a few days. That is fantastic news you got it working. Glad to hear it was just drivers and nothing more serious. Now hopefully everything will continue to work properly.
Have a good one! :)