Question Laptop crashes with artifacts in specific loads/games ?

rnnoob

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
Hello,

Laptop model - Aorus X5-v6

System Laptop specs - i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16GB ; no OC currently.

Lately my system started randomly crashing when playing Rise of nations and League of legends.(10-15 mins in game)
Some crashes are with artifacts and a hard reboot while others are just blank screens for some time and then automatic reboots.

I know artifacts are caused mostly due to a faulty GPU, so in order to test that I ran benchmarks and stress tests to see if I can recreate the crashes. Surprisingly these ran without issues.
I used FurMark, 3Dmark(Timespy Extreme, Firestrike Extreme, PCI express), GPUmemtest/OCCT memtest. Nvidia drivers Updated with clean install

More surprising was the fact that I ran GTA 5 online for around 1-2 hrs. and it did not crash albeit the temps were around 89C(usual case for GTA5 for me). For normal use the system works without an issue, and I haven't had any crashes while using Hyperworks, Ansys, CAD softwares or MATLAB( but I haven't run any demanding stuff on them lately )
I did not have the time to check if the problem is only with RoN or League, but I can try to test other games to see if they crash similarly as well.

This thing has me completely baffled as to what might be causing these crashes. Please I would appreciate any insight in troubleshooting it.
Let me know if you need any more details, Thank you.

rnnoob

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
Looks like vram overheating. When last did you do some dust cleaning?
Been a few years since I've opened up the laptop and cleaned it. Might be what you said.
But, Wouldn't the benchmarks/stress tests and GTA also hit the VRAM and cause it to overheat and crash? Real question.

Johnwmel

Great
Jan 21, 2021
Process of elimination, theory doesn't always work., Make sure the basics are right.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74agkgZdzkI

http://ubm.io/2hL7SEZ
http://ubm.io/2hL8Vop
Cleaning a Laptop/Notebook Computer
http://www.techradar.com/news/mobile-computing/laptops/how-to-clean-your-laptop-of-dust-and-dirt-942783

rnnoob

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
It will only happen with high gpu orientated games and gpu stress tests
Process of elimination, theory doesn't always work., Make sure the basics are right.

I understand, But Rise of nations is a very old game from 2003 which crashes, while GTA5 which is to this day a very demanding title does not. Also the Timespy extreme benchmark/stress test runs at 4k imo. So in my mind these should be hitting the hardware a lot harder than an e-sports title or almost more than a decade old game.

Anyway I have ordered a torx screw set as I don't have mine with me right now. But I am still skeptical of that being the issue. Mainly because I can't recreate the crash with what's supposed to be a more demanding system load.
Anything else you think might be the problem?

I do remember once when the game crashed and the system did not reboot I got a error with something mentioning the video buffer. I'll try to recreate it and post that as soon as possible.
other than that I have no other leads, unfortunately :(.

Last edited:

Jacozeelie

Respectable
Mar 1, 2019
I have seen something like that, with age of empires 2. But that was because the gpu driver did not support some direct 3d stuff and required a download from microsoft. After download, same thing. So i just build a aincient old pc from my scrap bin, installed xp and now frankenstein plays all my old games

rnnoob

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
I have seen something like that, with age of empires 2. But that was because the gpu driver did not support some direct 3d stuff and required a download from microsoft. After download, same thing. So i just build a aincient old pc from my scrap bin, installed xp and now frankenstein plays all my old games

Yeah, your solution for AoE2 sounds good. I thought the same, maybe something messed up compatibility with the old game; but probably that's also not the case as League crashes similarly and that is a live game with weekly updates. And now I can't play ranked matches as I don't know when the system will reset.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS