[SOLVED] Laptop doesn’t recognize external Graphics Card

Jul 20, 2020
Hey guys, what’s up?

So, I have a laptop Toshiba Satellite L755 with the following specifications:
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2670QM CPU @ 2.20GHz
RAM: 8GB (it came with 4GB, I added 4GB more)
64-bit Operating System, x64-based processor
Video: NVIDIA GeForce GT 525M
Windows 10 Home

I bought an adapter Mini PCI-E v8.0 Exp GDC, an MSI graphics card GeForce GTX 970 Gaming 4G and a power supply Euro Tech Silent Pro 580w.

I took out my Wi-Fi card from inside of my laptop and I putted the adapter’s cable there just as shown in the instructions. All necessary connections between adapter, graphics card and power supply are made as indicated.

What happens is:

a) If the pc cable (the one that I putted in the Wi-Fi slot, that connects to the adapter) is connected to the adapter when I turn on the computer the vents of the graphics card and power supply only turn around once, they don’t continue running, and the laptop screen stays black. The screen stays black while the pc continues on, nothing happens, which I end up turning it off on the bottom.

b) If the pc is on and I connect the cable to the adapter: the graphics card and power supply start working. Both vents keep on rolling and the adapter’s lights and graphics card lights turn on and keep on. I stayed with my laptop on all afternoon and they kept on working.

The thing is. My laptop doesn’t recognize the new graphics card. Everything is working but the laptop doesn’t recognize any of these 3 items. If I go to the Device Manager and then into the Display Adapters, it only shows the graphic card that I have in my laptop, nothing else. From what I saw in Youtube and from several sites, it should show something like ‘Microsoft Basic Display Adapter’ or ‘Stantard VGA Graphics Adapter’ or something like that so I can install the version of Nvidia of the new graphics card.

I saw in some sites that I should deactivate or change something in the BIOS regarding the Graphics Card or the PCI or the PXE Boot to LAN but my BIOS is super basic, I have none of these options.

I don’t know if there’s a way to change my BIOS into advanced mode or if there’s a way to make my pc recognize the new graphics card without touching the BIOS. I’ve seen so many videos and sites and I can’t find out what’s wrong.

Also, I have all my drivers up to date (I use Driver Booster 7 and also Driver Easy, all good). My Windows is up to date as well. I have Avast and Advanced System Care, so everything is in order. Also, the laptop was formatted 2 months ago. I’ve played Tomb Raider (2013) with my internal graphics card and it runs pretty great. With an Xbox controller and everything. I love Tomb Raider so I bought this new graphics card because I so want to play the Rise and the Shadows!!

If anyone had this problem or knows how I can fix it, pleaseeeeee tell meeeee! I can’t wait no more to play these beautiful games! It’s so stressful when you can’t fix something, argh! If you need any more information that may help you understand this situation, screenshots or something, just tell me.

Thank you very much for your time. Hope to hear from you soon :)

Best wishes,
Daniela Melo

Solution
Euro Tech Silent Pro 580w.
That might be a problem, try and pick up a reliably built 450W unit as opposed to an unbranded higher wattage unit.

The problem is that you have two GPU's on the laptop(by itself). I'd advise on removing the GT525M's drivers prior to using the GTX970. Use DDU to rid the laptop of your GPU drivers before you plug the GTX970 to the laptop. See if that helps. Also, make sure you're on the latest BIOS for the laptop.

On another note, got a link to the GPU dock you're working with?

(I use Driver Booster 7 and also Driver Easy, all good)
Yeah, about that, never have a third party app tell you whether you're up to date or not. I've had to repair laptops that were seemingly bricked...

Lutfij

Titan
Euro Tech Silent Pro 580w.
That might be a problem, try and pick up a reliably built 450W unit as opposed to an unbranded higher wattage unit.

The problem is that you have two GPU's on the laptop(by itself). I'd advise on removing the GT525M's drivers prior to using the GTX970. Use DDU to rid the laptop of your GPU drivers before you plug the GTX970 to the laptop. See if that helps. Also, make sure you're on the latest BIOS for the laptop.

On another note, got a link to the GPU dock you're working with?

(I use Driver Booster 7 and also Driver Easy, all good)
Yeah, about that, never have a third party app tell you whether you're up to date or not. I've had to repair laptops that were seemingly bricked by the wrong app's, drivers and BIOS updates.

Solution
Jul 20, 2020
Hello Lutfij, how are you?

First of all, thank you very much for your reply and sorry about my late feedback.

So, today I tried what you suggested me to do. I used the DDU program to remove all my NVIDIA files. My intern Graphics Card was no longer recognized (of course). I plugged the new Graphics Card, the GTX 970 Gaming 4G that I talked about. It did nothing.. The laptop did not recognize it. I tried turning off the laptop and when I turned it on I still got the black screen issue. But if I unplug the adapter, turn on the laptop normally, plug the adapter with the Graphics Card, it all works (graphic card turns on, lights and vents, the power supply as well and the light of the adapter too) but the laptop still does nothing..does not recognize it. So I tried to install the NVIDIA drivers (from the NVIDIA site with all the graphics card versions) for this new Graphics Card but it did not install it..I get an error that it can't find compatible graphics hardware (I took a screenshot of the error and putted here). I checked the Device Manager and the intern graphics card is not there..so it should recognize this one..I think, no? There's something wrong in here that I can't find out what it is..

I don't know if it's important but the new Graphics Card that I have it's OC, you think it's something related to that?

About the power supply. Even if it's a strong one, shouldn't the laptop at least recognize the Graphics Card? Or not? I realized that when I get the vents working, the ones from the Graphics Card really work full power..like..pretty pretty fast, I don't know if it's suppose to be like that since I always had a laptop..
The thing about buying a new Power Supply is that if it doesn't solve the problem they won't give me the money back or let me trade for something else..of course if I was really sure if that's the real problem I would buy it. But I understand this is a complicated situation..it's hard to tell what the problem is.

About the BIOS. Mine is pretty old school lol, like basic type, like the ones you see everywhere..all gray and blue. I can take a picture of it if you want. About the version: I don't know how to check if it's the latest one. Mine is InsydeH2O 2.50 9/23/2011. It looks like it stopped in time but I don't know how to check for updates in this matter. The SMBIOS Version is 2.7. I have this laptop for like 8-9 years. It was only formatted once and was like 2 months ago. Already played Tomb Raider 2013 after that, but yeah, the new games don't work in this laptop cuz of the Graphics Card.. The laptop came with Windows 7 but I already use Windows 10 in here, before and after I formatted it.

About the GPU dock. I have this little baby right here: https://www.banggood.com/Mini-PCI-E...-p-1011222.html?rmmds=search&cur_warehouse=CN

I saw tons of videos where this works perfectly. Some had problems with black screen but after plugging an external screen into the Graphics Card they got image. The laptop stayed black but they got the image from the extra screen that they plugged in. I tried that too, but it didn't work. The laptop stays black and the extra screen without any signal.

You can see many people using this kind of technology and it works perfectly. Many say that this GTX 970 card is one of the best and the one you should purchase to get "results for sure" by using this adapter. That was the reason I got this one. Perfect for gaming and perfect for this adapter and so on. But yes, you can basically use any graphics card (or a large range) in this adapter. Unfortunately I have no other graphics card to test the adapter to try it out, just to check if there's a problem with this graphic card. But I think if there was a problem with it it wouldn't turn on the lights and vents, right?

Maybe I really have to change something in the BIOS like most people do while using this. But damn it..my BIOS have none of these things..I don't have advanced options..it's all blocked..

So frustrating!! I have all this at home for so long and I can't manage to make them work..arghhhh!

I appreciate all the time you're putting into this matter, I really hope you can give me some new ideas. If you need any extra information that might help, please feel free to ask.

Thank you very much and best wishes,
Daniela Melo

107099274_406571993843573_4821804109194998_n.png