Question Laptop DVD drive strange behaviour

ITJohn

Reputable
Jun 18, 2017
I suspect this might turn out a trifle verbose, but to be sure I have not omitted anything relevant:

Some time ago, my laptop's DVD gradually stopped working - first it stopped recognising dual-layer DVDs ('sees' them as blank disks in the drive), then normal home-made archive DVDs (same), then factory-made DVDs, and finally music CDs. I was thinking the lens might have got dirty, but a few different people on forums and in real life said it was more likely the drive had just died.

With this, I ordered a new one, but since it wasn't known what its thickness was, they asked me to bring the laptop to the store to check this. When I did, the drive was removed from the laptop (at least on mine, it is only one bolt), turned out to be the 'regular' size and then put back.

When I went back home, it occurred to me to check how it worked for just in case, and - it did play a music CD and a factory-made DVD (with a game), but still not single or dual-layer home DVDs. Since the lens is inside the box, and had not been touched at all, I thought it might be a matter of whatever port/slot it had inside through which it connects to the rest of the computer, so I tried to remove the drive to clean it. Unfortunately, I was unable to unscrew the bolt with two different screwdrivers (ahem, I know;)), but I think I loosened it somewhat - then, upon turning the computer back on, the drive would also recognise properly at least one 'home-made' single-layer DVD, but not the dual still.

Thus, would anyone be able to suggest:

1. A possible cause for the problems (my best guess at the moment is still some type of contact/connection problem, but, of course, it is a guess at best)

2. How to go about resolving it (e. g., if the port is to be cleaned, can alcohol be used, or could something rust/be damaged, etc.)

Thanks.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS