Question Laptop - external display support

Jan 6, 2022
Hi,

I have Dell G5 with GTX 1050 TI card.

In manual it says only HDMI for external display support on that controller, but I also have the DisplayPort Alt-Mode available and with a USB Type-C to DisplayPort adapter I should be able to use external DP monitor with the Intel UHD Graphics 630. Let's say I do this and it works.

What happens then if my laptop uses the GTX card (while gaming for example), but is connected via UHD G 630 with a USB Type-C to DisplayPort adapter to an external DP monitor. Will there be lagging in the image on the DP monitor or there won't be any image at all since the GTX card supports only HDMI for external display?

My first gut answer is running the game on the external display will cause the game to run on the iGPU instead of the dGPU. However, since this is a hybrid setup and the internal display is connected to the iGPU, the game may run on the dGPU still when outputting to the external display. i.e., it shouldn't be any different than if you used the internal display.

Jan 6, 2022
Yes, I kind of concluded the same, however in the Dell manual - https://dl.dell.com/topicspdf/g-series-15-5587-laptop_setup-guide_en-us.pdf - on page 19 is written:

Discrete graphics - External display support
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti :: HDMI 2.0b port

Integrated graphics - External display support
Intel UHD Graphics 630 :: One DisplayPort and one HDMI port

Why would they split these if there is no downside for the user no matter which port he uses since the iGPU is always used? It's kind of a bad marketing for them in their own manual.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
On page 19 all i see is this, searching elsewhere in pdf don't see anything specifically mentioning which port is designated for. Included url in pic to reference im not being redirected.
g5zDLm4.png

Often igpu is wired to screen and dgpu routes through igpu. Probably is same with external ports but not always.