Question Laptop Fan cranks to full speed, gets hot when its put into sleep mode ?

YouFilthyHippo

Prominent
Oct 15, 2022
It only happens sometimes. I'll put my laptop into sleep mode and close the lid. The fan will crank and laptop will get hot. It only does this sometimes. It cant be caused by an application because the laptop is in sleepmode. Laptop is an MSI Katana GF66. BIOS is latest updated. What would cause this? How do I fix it?

letmepicyou

Honorable
Mar 5, 2019
It only happens sometimes. I'll put my laptop into sleep mode and close the lid. The fan will crank and laptop will get hot. It only does this sometimes. It cant be caused by an application because the laptop is in sleepmode. Laptop is an MSI Katana GF66. BIOS is latest updated. What would cause this? How do I fix it?
In your "Advanced Power Settings", what do you have "When I close my lid" set to? Because if you're MANUALLY clicking through to put your computer in sleep mode, and then closing your lid before it gets there, it might be trying to both go into sleep mode as well as do what it's told to do when you close your lid. I believe the options are "Do nothing, Sleep Mode, Power off" but I can't recall if there are any others. If you use Sleep Mode, the best way is to configure your advanced power settings for lid closure to enable sleep mode then you don't have to click the start - power - sleep mode route.

YouFilthyHippo

Prominent
Oct 15, 2022
In your "Advanced Power Settings", what do you have "When I close my lid" set to? Because if you're MANUALLY clicking through to put your computer in sleep mode, and then closing your lid before it gets there, it might be trying to both go into sleep mode as well as do what it's told to do when you close your lid. I believe the options are "Do nothing, Sleep Mode, Power off" but I can't recall if there are any others. If you use Sleep Mode, the best way is to configure your advanced power settings for lid closure to enable sleep mode then you don't have to click the start - power - sleep mode route.

I have close the lid as sleep. I also start menu sleep, either way its sleep

YouFilthyHippo

Prominent
Oct 15, 2022
U8fBFN1.jpeg

I don't see anything here that says away mode