Question Laptop Fan made a horrible rattling noise when turned on and then stopped working ?

Feb 26, 2023
I turned on my laptop and it made a horrible, screeching noise. It seemed as if the fan kept hitting the chassis of the laptop. Concerned, I force powered off the system. When I started the computer again, there was much less air coming out of the vents and only one of the two fans were functioning. I don't know which fan was for CPU and which one for GPU. I started running Cinebench R15 and cpu-z to stress test the computer, and the temps (by touch-feel) got pretty high. More concerningly, the fan speeds did not increase by even a little and the seemingly-dead fan did not move. I opened a game to see if the other fan was just for GPU stress but to no avail. What am I supposed to do? Open the system and clean the vents, or are the fans requiring a replacement.

System Info:
2yr old Acer Aspire 7 (A715-75G)
i5 9300H
GTX 1650

Feb 26, 2023
Thanks for the reply!
I'm positive that this laptop is older than 2yrs. I bought it in late 2020. According to the sticker on the bottom, this computer was manufactured on 14th July 2020. Guess ill have to open it up.

DaleH

Prominent
Mar 24, 2023
I turned on my laptop and it made a horrible, screeching noise. It seemed as if the fan kept hitting the chassis of the laptop. Concerned, I force powered off the system. When I started the computer again, there was much less air coming out of the vents and only one of the two fans were functioning. I don't know which fan was for CPU and which one for GPU. I started running Cinebench R15 and cpu-z to stress test the computer, and the temps (by touch-feel) got pretty high. More concerningly, the fan speeds did not increase by even a little and the seemingly-dead fan did not move. I opened a game to see if the other fan was just for GPU stress but to no avail. What am I supposed to do? Open the system and clean the vents, or are the fans requiring a replacement.

System Info:
2yr old Acer Aspire 7 (A715-75G)
i5 9300H
GTX 1650
Symptoms would indicate a failing fan.