News Laptop fire caused American Airlines jet to be evacuated

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I would love to hear the traffic control logs from the pilot fight.

This article reminds me of the time we bought a used EV battery, and the unscrupulous sellers shipped it as washing machine parts. So they crated up, poorly, an 18kWh battery and shipped it by airplane. By the time it arrived the battery had sagged across the two legs they added for forklift access (didn't put a middle leg for some reason, I'm told they added that for all the other customers after we complained). If you can imagine every time they moved this thing the battery pack was bending and unbending from being picked up. All on a battery pack that was literally a recall for thermal runaway issues.

Three cells on the end actually did kill themselves, leaving a nice discoloration, luckily the rest of the mass of the battery was enough to keep it cool enough for the rest of the pack not to ignite.

I think about that a lot, could have cut the plane in half.

Nov 20, 2023
In hindsight, this is probably correct.

But also, you can find recent reports of unruly passengers from any nationality.

Brits rioting, German threatening to take the plane down...heck...two Air France pilots fighting!
Its not just the "ugly American". People are the problem.
Agreed people are the problem. Individualism and mass mentality. But we can do better. Have a good one.

KyaraM

Admirable
In hindsight, this is probably correct.

But also, you can find recent reports of unruly passengers from any nationality.

Brits rioting, German threatening to take the plane down...heck...two Air France pilots fighting!
Its not just the "ugly American". People are the problem.
True. When I traveled to Italy for a workshop in May, the guy next to me couldn't stop hacking away on his laptop even during start and landing, when it's not allowed, because apparently it's asking too much to put it away for 5 minutes...
At least he only endangered himself I guess, mostly. The pilot fight sounds interesting, though ( unless it ended like that one German Wings flight a couple years back... which is another great example of egocentrism, and one that, tragically, actually ended lethal for many innocent people...)