Question Laptop for Coding and Data Analysis (1000/1500€ budget) ?

PeroPuri

Prominent
Sep 9, 2021
Hello everyone,
I've just landed my first work and I really need a new laptop (I'm going around with a old laptop that can barely turn on), but I'm having a really an hard time picking one. In the next months I'll need mostly to code web app and website (javascript, node.js, mongoDB, flutter, but also python, tensorflow, mediapipe, etc), along with performing data analysis and work with some machine learning model.

Aside from that, these are the programs that I will run on it: photoshop, spss, r studio, visual code, fusion 360, blender, office.
My budget is around 1200/1500€ (I’ll buy it in Italy).
I need for it to have a good battery life and to be as light and thin as possible considering I’ll travel a lot with it. I’m also going to use it to do online meeting.
Thanks in advance for all the help 🙏

Ralston18

Titan
Take a look at the hardware requirements for the apps etc. that you listed.

Most software manufacturers provide some hardware listing in the form of minimal, recommended, and best.,

You do not want "minimal" and you do want as much "best" as you can afford.

And you must "build" to the highest requirement. If six apps require 8 GB of RAM and a seventh app requires 16 GB then you want 16 GB of RAM.

New job: find out what any co-workers are using. Especially those co-workers who are doing identical work.

Also - start here:

https://www.tomsguide.com/best-picks/best-laptops

Two benefits: 1) learn more about what needs to be considered and 2) specific laptops that are likely to meet your requirements.

There will likely be some trade-offs. For travel you want durability; "light and thin" may not hold up.

Reactions: PeroPuri

PeroPuri

Prominent
Sep 9, 2021
Take a look at the hardware requirements for the apps etc. that you listed.

Most software manufacturers provide some hardware listing in the form of minimal, recommended, and best.,

You do not want "minimal" and you do want as much "best" as you can afford.

And you must "build" to the highest requirement. If six apps require 8 GB of RAM and a seventh app requires 16 GB then you want 16 GB of RAM.

New job: find out what any co-workers are using. Especially those co-workers who are doing identical work.

Also - start here:

https://www.tomsguide.com/best-picks/best-laptops

Two benefits: 1) learn more about what needs to be considered and 2) specific laptops that are likely to meet your requirements.

There will likely be some trade-offs. For travel you want durability; "light and thin" may not hold up.

Thakns for your advice! I've started looking into it.

Hey there,

Yes, you could go for something like this: Victus by HP 16-e1008nl Gaming Notebook with AMD Ryzen™ 7 - NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 3050 Ti - HP Store (UK) .

Very strong, cool, and silent CPU (not much fan noise), and is also capable for a littel gaming and cuda work.

Nice balance. Comes with 16gb of ram, and a 1TB ssd. It also has a 144hz panel, which adds to the smoothness factor.
Thank you! I had an HP laptop a good decade ago and I didn't like the experience with it (laptop started having issue as soon the warranty experied), is HP better nowdays?.
Look at the Lenovo thinkpad x1 carbon.
There are many variants and a lot of details to consider.
Check out a review site like this:
https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenov...0-upgrade-with-Intel-Tiger-Lake.537905.0.html
Thank you for your answer! I was also looking into a Lenovo laptop, my only doubt is this: the price of the laptop you linked it will around 1800 euro in the end. Would be it better to buy a MacBook for that price? I've always been a Windows user so I don't know if it could be worthy go over budget for that. Otherwhise the Lenovo got my interest