Laptop for programming and gaming

Andrei0408

Honorable
Jun 17, 2017
Hello, I'm about to go off to college to study Computer Science and I'm looking to get laptop to take with me so I can get my work done there. I'm looking for a laptop that's good for programming and that I could also use to play some games in my free time. I don't really need a spaceship in terms of gaming, just something that can run League of Legends/Skyrim/Valorant 60+ fps. My budget would be 1000$ max, and I kinda prefer Asus or Lenovo but the brand doesn't really make a difference to me. The screen size isn't that big of a deal as long as it doesn't hurt my eyes over long periods of use.
So far I've narrowed my search to these models:
https://www.emag.ro/laptop-gaming-a...HtNIAiENtfbJjblu0x0rbyDl9usWBHphoCzsoQAvD_BwE
https://www.emag.ro/laptop-ultrapor...-tT3Yf3IkJ1bv0t1j70zj0RdUMm28R1xoCmj8QAvD_BwE
They both cost roughly 1000$, however I was more inclined towards the ROG Strix G because of the 16 GB of RAM and the 1TB SSD (and obviously the dedicated gpu), but I wasn't sure if the GPU is that good for programming. I'd like to use the laptop through my 4 years of college and maybe even use it after I manage to get a job, any opinion is more than welcome. Feel free to post any other suggestions or recommendations. Thank you for taking the time to read my post!

z0ove

Prominent
Sep 8, 2019
Lenovo ThinkPad E14 i5-10210U: coding, web browsing, youtube, movies and stuff like that

ASUS ROG Strix G cu i5-9300H: all above written and gaming also! You really gonna love do everything at 120Hz. believe me XD

Reactions: Andrei0408

Tao_Ikry

Prominent
Aug 17, 2020
ASUS and MSI are very good choices for GPU's since they both focus quite a bit on gaming, Lenovo is more of something that prefers safety since they make Chromebooks for school, ASUS is a very good option since many ASUS or all ASUS GPU's are smart enough to underclock itself at a time it can be damaged which makes it last longer, you can use ASUS GPU Tweak II if your device isn't performing fast enough to overclock something like RAM, GPU, and to target what fps you want or just to underclock it to cool down. Overall ASUS will be your best choice, with a RAM of 8 gb that's more than enough, and if it isn't then you can overclock it

Reactions: Andrei0408

Andrei0408

Honorable
Jun 17, 2017
Thanks for your replies, I've also come across an ASUS TUF A15 FA506II-HN149, AMD Ryzen 7-4800H 4.2GHz, 15.6" Full HD, 16GB, SSD 512GB, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650Ti 4GB , which got the highest score on a CPU benchmark test out of the three. I know TUF is more like a budget version of the ROG, but I also know that CPU is important for programming. Would there be any downsides with the TUF and if so which one would you recommend?

Last edited: