Question Laptop freezes and restarts with "Kernel Power 41 (63)" error while playing games ?

Aug 28, 2022
For the last month I've been having sudden freezes and restarts while playing games. No BSOD,no error message. Only a solid colored screen and a restart. After that I can only find that "Kernel Power 41 (63)" appears in windows event logs.

My laptop is a local Turkish brand called "Monster Notebook" who import and modify Clevo gaming notebooks mostly.

And here it's specs:

Intel 9700k 3.60 gHz Factory OC @ 4.60 gHz
Nvdia GTX 1070 8 GB Factory OC
16 GB DDR4 RAM
256 GB M.2 + 1TB SATA SSD's
Windows 10 Professional 64 bit

Things I have tried:
  • Update and reinstall Nvidia drivers with DDU
  • Check for windows errors with sfc
  • Checked for malwares
  • Used memtest86
  • Used several benchmark and/or stress test programs such as Furmark, Heaven, OCCT to determine which hardware component is failing - No freezes or crashes happened during these tests
  • Checked for temperatures. Core temperatures are at 85C with both GPU and CPU under max load. Usually around 75-80C on games.
  • Reapplied thermal paste multiple times, cleaned fans and heatsinks.

Things I couldn't tried yet:
BIOS update: Dunno why but as a company "Monster Notebook" hides/obscures their motherboard models and they don't offer BIOS updates on their sites. Some people pointed out that they usually send update files if you mail their tech support. So I did and waiting their response

So meanwhile I just wanted to ask you people how can I determine which part of hardware is at fault? Or is it really a hardware problem?

Last edited:

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Dunno why but as a company "Monster Notebook" hides/obscures their motherboard models and they don't offer BIOS updates on their sites.

Perhaps because what they do, isn't that legal?

who import and modify Clevo gaming notebooks mostly.

Here, are you sure that this Turkish brand is an official representor of Clevo in Turkey? Since i get a feeling that they are not, and instead do it "under the radar".
Plenty of such copy-cat firms out there, who take someone else's product, "modify" it a bit, and then sell it under their own name.

So meanwhile I just wanted to ask you people how can I determine which part of hardware is at fault? Or is it really a hardware problem?

Kernel Power 41 is usually PSU issue, 90% of the times. There is small chance that it could be thermal issue as well, and you having a laptop, means that you'll have high thermals, no matter what. Question is, are the high thermals the issue you're having or not.

I'd replace PSU. Or better yet, get official Clevo laptop, from Clevo, rather than using the questionable "Monster Notebook" modified laptop.

Aug 28, 2022
Perhaps because what they do, isn't that legal?

Yeah I got a mail from company stating that my BIOS is already up to date

Here, are you sure that this Turkish brand is an official representor of Clevo in Turkey? Since i get a feeling that they are not, and instead do it "under the radar".
Plenty of such copy-cat firms out there, who take someone else's product, "modify" it a bit, and then sell it under their own name.

Damn I really worded that badly with my poor understanding, slandered a poor(!) company
They are not a copy cat company. Monster have some agreements for buying "barebone laptops" from different companies, including Clevo, Compal, MSI and assembling them on their own and selling them under their brands.
So I don't think they are some shady company as they are one of the biggest companies on Turkey. Sure their products quality gone worse after 2018 but still they are a legit company.

Kernel Power 41 is usually PSU issue, 90% of the times. There is small chance that it could be thermal issue as well, and you having a laptop, means that you'll have high thermals, no matter what. Question is, are the high thermals the issue you're having or not.

I'd replace PSU. Or better yet, get official Clevo laptop, from Clevo, rather than using the questionable "Monster Notebook" modified laptop.

I have a gut feeling that it's either PSU or motherboard VRM gone bad. I'll just go to a tech shop to check it.
And no, I'd rather buy a Lenovo or ASUS gaming notebook. I only bought this one in 2018 because it offered a better cost-performance back in the day.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
as they are one of the biggest companies on Turkey.

Being big doesn't exclude from shady business deals. On the contrary, it raises the suspicion even more. E.g ever heard of Evergrande Group in China? They are the biggest real estate firm in China. Yet most of their conduct is illegal, hence why they currently are in the huge real estate scandal in China. Most likely collapsing entire China economy as well.

And while the company itself may be legit (and not a front for something else), it's the conduct of a company that can be illegal. E.g Artesian Builds was one such company, in PC industry, who's conduct made it go under.

Essentially, the bigger the company is - the more likely it is, that they are doing something shady. Usually it is cutting corners to save money, disregarding proper safety rules (since proper safety costs money) and/or increasing income at the cost of underpaying it's employees. The biggest disasters have happened due to big companies cutting costs on safety (e.g BP and Deepwater Horizon or UCIL and Bhopal).

Sure their products quality gone worse after 2018

A clear sign that Monster Notebook is doing badly, hence the drop in quality.

Aug 28, 2022
Being big doesn't exclude from shady business deals. On the contrary, it raises the suspicion even more. E.g ever heard of Evergrande Group in China? They are the biggest real estate firm in China. Yet most of their conduct is illegal, hence why they currently are in the huge real estate scandal in China. Most likely collapsing entire China economy as well.

And while the company itself may be legit (and not a front for something else), it's the conduct of a company that can be illegal. E.g Artesian Builds was one such company, in PC industry, who's conduct made it go under.

Essentially, the bigger the company is - the more likely it is, that they are doing something shady. Usually it is cutting corners to save money, disregarding proper safety rules (since proper safety costs money) and/or increasing income at the cost of underpaying it's employees. The biggest disasters have happened due to big companies cutting costs on safety (e.g BP and Deepwater Horizon or UCIL and Bhopal).

Yeah don't get me wrong, I actually agree with you. I just wanted to say I didnt buy my laptop from some kind of shady black-market.

Company only had some advantage in pricing over others with their "pile them high sell them cheap" business model back in the day, which could be shady with the reasons you've listed. After Covid and massive inflation in Turkey they are not much different in pricing compared to international companies and their product's quality gone worse. So yeah, as I told before I'd buy a MSI, ASUS or Lenovo over them anytime. But I have to try getting my laptop repaired first as I'm on a budget when it comes to purchase anything imported (mainly electronics) thanks to the high inflation. So I can't just buy another laptop that easily

Anyway we're getting a bit off-topic, I'd give an update after repair shop.

Reactions: Aeacus