Question Laptop "freezing" in a really weird way

Mar 15, 2019
Dell inspiron 13 2-in-1 laptop, maybe 2 years old. Over the last couple of months the machine has been freezing 2-3 times a day. Assumed a Windows glitch and only just got round to full wipe and fresh install of 1809 and sadly same issue :(

The freezing is weird - it doesn't just "stop" - but "Windows" seems to freeze but for 10s or so, the mouse cursor can still be moved but thats it - then the mouse freezes. Capslock is unresponsive during that time. Its annoying you know when its going to do it and each time as you can move the mouse for a few seconds you live in hope lol!)

Machine has to then be power cycled.

No mention of anything in eventviewer, no errors I can see anywhere.

I'm totally bemused as to what it can be!

I've ruled out WIndows as fresh clean install

I use VeraCrypt if that makes any difference.

I'm wondering where to go next? CPU/GPU (i3-6100u + HD520) fault - in which case byebye laptop. SSD? (no errors anywhere - SANDISK 120Gb) RAM?

Ideas welcome -laptop is perfect for what I use, but can't live with these hangs... :(

D

Deleted member 14196

Take a look at your reliability history and event viewer and see if you can see any problems or errors being logged

Mar 15, 2019
Take a look at your reliability history and event viewer and see if you can see any problems or errors being logged
Nope, nothing there or in event log at all
(Well, the only event log error is complaining about being shutdown dirty due to forced power off). Nothing preceeding that at all.

Its as if Windows is actually dead/frozen yet still allows the mouse to move for 10s before that fails. Makes me wonder if the mouse movement processing is done elswwhere in hardware (GPU?) for instance so it can work for a bit despite windows being dead?

Windows doesn't log anything useful :(