[SOLVED] Laptop froze and now won't boot windows.

Jun 24, 2021
My laptop recently froze and doesn't boot windows anymore after the crash. I use an external monitor as my laptop monitor is broken. I am greeted with a no signal message after it attempts to load windows. This happened previously and I believed I had fixed it by using the windows button + p keys as I thought it was maybe stuck displaying on the laptop monitor. It happened to me again and now, the previous solution doesn't work.

I've tried every possible option via the windows boot manager and still, no success. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 🙂

Solution
Steps to try:

1: Force a shutdown (hold power button for 5-10 seconds) It might be stuck in sleep / hibernate, then turn back on and wait.

2: Repeat step 1, but shutdown completely, unplug laptop, remove the battery, and hold the power button down to drain capacitors, reinstall battery, plug back in, start back up.

3: If Windows is loading but there's just no image on the screen, try Windows Key + Shift + Control + B. Probably won't work, but worth a try.

4: Try another display cable if you have one, or another monitor / TV as the output.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
IDK how comfortable you are with opening the unit. It might be worthwhile to try opening the case and disconnecting the broken on board monitor. In that case (hopefully) you will be able to see a splash screen with the external connected.

revodo

Proper
BANNED
Jun 10, 2021
Steps to try:

1: Force a shutdown (hold power button for 5-10 seconds) It might be stuck in sleep / hibernate, then turn back on and wait.

2: Repeat step 1, but shutdown completely, unplug laptop, remove the battery, and hold the power button down to drain capacitors, reinstall battery, plug back in, start back up.

3: If Windows is loading but there's just no image on the screen, try Windows Key + Shift + Control + B. Probably won't work, but worth a try.

4: Try another display cable if you have one, or another monitor / TV as the output.

Solution