Question Laptop gets a black screen after RAM upgrade

MikeSZ

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2015
Hey everyone, i tried to revive an old laptop to use as a streaming machine, but as soon as i tried to replace the RAM it failed to boot, no BIOS, nothing on the screen, just black and after a few seconds the power LED turns off.
I thought i made sure the RAM was the exact same specs but maybe i missed something

old RAM: hma851s6cjr6n-vk SK hynix 2666MHz non ECC DDR4 4GB 1.2V
new RAM: ‎AD4S26668G19-SGN ADATA 2666MHz non ECC DDR4 8GB 1.2V

laptop model is ideapad 330-14igm

thanks.

MikeSZ

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2015
Update the BIOS of the Laptop with the old RAM and after updating try using the new RAM again

Which CPU are you using?
Probably your CPU is only supporting 2400MHz

Eventually the new RAM is just faulty or not compatible
You could try a different one like:
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/k7...dr4-2400-sodimm-cl16-memory-ted48g2400c16-s01

thanks for the reply, i updated the BIOS to the latest version before the swap, CPU is Intel Celeron N4000, i tried to match the RAM stick with the same specs as the old one which is 2666MHz so i don't see why it wouldn't work.

mettall

Prominent
Nov 28, 2022
Hello,
Quite often the ram modules are not connected well to the sockets. Try to start the laptop with just one of the ram modules, try to swap the ram modules, try different slots, etc...

Also you can try to clean the ram modules like this:
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/3Np1uEhb8F4

Be careful not to damage them, just clean up the connectors that make contact with the slot. When the time goes on those connectors gets oxidized.

If this does not work you can try to attach the ram modules on another laptop and probably run Memtest86 to check if the modules are working well. Most of the linux ISOs have this thing installed by default so you can just try to make a bootable linux flash drive and run it from there. This program will show if one of the modules is faulty.