[SOLVED] laptop gets faster internet speeds than my desktop using the same Ethernet cable?

Oct 18, 2020
Hello, a few months ago I upgraded to the 400 Mbps with Spectrum but whenever I check in speedtest . net i always have 6 - 12 Mbps on my desktop.
I decided to check directly from router and without any wifi connections but max I got was 12 Mbps, when i check on Laptop i have 400+ Mbps and same in PS4.
I used a cat5 e ethernet cable for all these tests. My desktops motherboards ethernet plug stopped working a few years back and a ethernet adaptor was installed.

Desktop: Asus Intel 15-3330 @ 3Ghz, 64-bit. with a Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC
https://i.paste.pics/57be63be7c1c073c10e2c14a37771eb0.png
Ethernet Adaptor: TE100-PCIWN

Laptop: MSI GL73 9RCX-030 Intel i5 9th Gen 9300H (2.40 GHz) Windows 10 Home 64-bit
https://i.paste.pics/478072e92c9e403ee05b9b2d87bf371a.png

I checked the drivers for any updates but it says its up to date.
I did find a similar thread but the link that provides the new driver is not available anymore.

I was thinking maybe the Ethernet Card in desktop has gone bad? or could the adaptor installed be limiting how much I get on desktop?

Solution
Try half first and then full.

If none of that works, let's bypass windows software issues and boot a linux live cd/usb and run the speedtest under that live os. And for speed testing, use fast.com and dslreports.com/speedtest. I've found these to be the most accurate across various isps.
Oct 18, 2020
which speedtest site?

I used speedtest.net, but also used:

just so I can make sure I can replicate results

Oct 18, 2020
It could be the nic card stuck at 10Mbps, go thru the device settings
88e6a7c8efb48c8d9623aef53b8b6123.png

It was originally set in Link Down Power Saving, i see the Duplex Mode has 2, 100Mbps options, does it matter if i put Full or Half?

If none of that works, let's bypass windows software issues and boot a linux live cd/usb and run the speedtest under that live os. And for speed testing, use fast.com and dslreports.com/speedtest. I've found these to be the most accurate across various isps.

Solution
Oct 18, 2020

yeah none of those options worked, what will testing it under linux do? will it determine if its an issue with Windows os? ill try to figure out how to boot a linux live os on usb tho and try it out