LAPTOP GPU 2gb or 4gb?

Jilow7

Commendable
Jan 24, 2017
I'm likely buying a HP Pavillion 1050 GTX laptop for around $600. 17inch 1080p screen. I'm wondering how important it is to upgrade the gpu dedicated memory from 2gb 1050 to 4gb 1050.

It costs 70 dollars to upgrade the gpu memory.

1. Do you think buying the 1050 will last me as long as I hope 3-4 years of playing games at medium settings?

2. How do you think a 2gb card holds up to a 4gb version? Worth the upgrade?

My ideal usage will be to play current and future games at medium settings (3-4 years). I may also have a 2nd monitor for browsing youtube while I game.

Thanks in advance!

Solution
If your target is to play at medium settings, the 2GB VRAM version should be more than enough. If by chance you do run into problems with lack of VRAM (stuttering, choppiness, freezes), just drop the texture quality down from high to medium. The vast majority of VRAM is used by textures, and each step down in texture quality uses roughly 1/4 the VRAM of the next step up.

4GB might be useful if you were planning to play at 4k resolution with 2k or 4k textures. But pretty much any 4k game would become a slideshow on a 1050.
If your target is to play at medium settings, the 2GB VRAM version should be more than enough. If by chance you do run into problems with lack of VRAM (stuttering, choppiness, freezes), just drop the texture quality down from high to medium. The vast majority of VRAM is used by textures, and each step down in texture quality uses roughly 1/4 the VRAM of the next step up.

4GB might be useful if you were planning to play at 4k resolution with 2k or 4k textures. But pretty much any 4k game would become a slideshow on a 1050.

Solution

Jilow7

Commendable
Jan 24, 2017
Thanks for both of your replies. While I'm slightly concerned how gaming on medium settings while watching youtube on a 2nd monitor will go. After all of your feedback, I think I'd rather save the 70 dollars.