Laptop Hard Drive into Desktop

Manu_8

Commendable
Sep 1, 2016
I'm planning to build a budget gaming PC and I recently found out you can put your laptop hard drive into a desktop. I was wondering if doing this would mean that the OS would work on my desktop and I wouldn't have to buy a copy of Windows, and if there would be any problem with booting it up because it obviously won't have the correct drivers.
Thanks

Solution
If Windows is pre-installed on a PC, it lives and dies with that PC. You cannot use it on another PC. Even if you get the desktop to boot, it will require you to activate Windows, which will fail. You could buy a new retail key and just change it once you have the desktop booting, thus not having to re-install Windows from scratch.

BadAsAl

Distinguished
If Windows is pre-installed on a PC, it lives and dies with that PC. You cannot use it on another PC. Even if you get the desktop to boot, it will require you to activate Windows, which will fail. You could buy a new retail key and just change it once you have the desktop booting, thus not having to re-install Windows from scratch.

Solution

Manu_8

Commendable
Sep 1, 2016

So my files will be ok, I'll just have to buy a Windows retail key and download the correct drivers and everything will work right?