Question Laptop has specific keys that have stopped working.

Mar 17, 2019
Hello, sorry if I'm doing anything wrong, this is my first time using this forum.

I have an Origin evo-15 laptop where the semicolon, right arrow, and comma keys have stopped working.

The first time I had this problem was about a year ago. What would happen is, slowly over time, more and more keys, in groups of about 3, would stop working. Eventually I sent it back to the company to be fixed and I got the laptop back, but after just a couple weeks the problem came back.

In the past the problem was intermittent, i.e. the keys could work for a few days and then stop working. I would take my laptop places in my backpack so the intermittent behavior was probably driven by jostling.

Now, when I got the computer back from origin, they had wiped and done an OS reinstall on the harddrive as if it was a driver issue. However, I know the issue isn't a software issue because the right arrow does not work in bios while the others do and I've tried resetting the drivers myself and all of that. Considering that I've had the same failure twice now, I think that whatever is failing me is not all that exotic. Considering how the problem was intermittent I'm about 90% sure that it's a loose keyboard cable or something inside the case. However the problem has settled now and the same 3 keys have not been working for the past couple of weeks.

I have a feeling that this is something that can be fixed by opening the laptop and trying to tighten to the connection to the keyboard, but I'm not sure if that's a good idea or if that's even possible. Origin as a whole has some really bad customer support so I'd like to avoid doing that again if possible.

The laptop as a whole is about 2 years old (and has been working properly for about 1). It's win 10, intel i7, gtx 9060, 16 gb ram etc. Tell me if you need to know anything else.

TRENDING THREADS