Question Laptop HDD Replacement

wjbowman25

Prominent
Nov 14, 2018
I have a Lenovo G50-45 with a 500gb HDD and a full version of Windows 10. It's getting to be slow and was thinking about making a cheap $50 SSD replacement to speed things up. However, I've watched some videos and saw people having to clone their old drives to the new SSD with adapters to get all their data on the new drive. I don't really care about the things already installed except for the Windows operating system because I don't want to have to install the trial version of Windows and have the watermark and limitations. Is there a way for me to somehow transfer over Windows 10 to the new drive without anything else? How would I do so and would I need an adapter?

Lutfij

Titan
If you're working with a licensed copy of the OS on your laptop, you don't need to worry about cloning the OS drive. In fact, it's advised to reinstall the OS from scratch after you drop in the SSD and after you've created your bootable installer for Window s 10 using Windows Media Creation Tools. FYI, you should make sure you're on the latest BIOS update for your laptop prior to dropping in the SSD. Your secondary partition on the HDD(if you have any) will be intact.

wjbowman25

Prominent
Nov 14, 2018
If you're working with a licensed copy of the OS on your laptop, you don't need to worry about cloning the OS drive. In fact, it's advised to reinstall the OS from scratch after you drop in the SSD and after you've created your bootable installer for Window s 10 using Windows Media Creation Tools. FYI, you should make sure you're on the latest BIOS update for your laptop prior to dropping in the SSD. Your secondary partition on the HDD(if you have any) will be intact.
So I can just replace the HDD for the SSD and plug in the Media Creation Tool and it'll install a new full copy of Windows?

TRENDING THREADS