Question laptop heating up way too fast

Jun 7, 2019
so lately my laptop has been heating up quite fast even when I'm just watching a random video on youtube,I thought that dust was probably clogging the heatsinks or fans, so I decided to take my laptop to a hardware store (don't really know how to call it) and ask them to clean my laptop and re-apply the thermal paste if needed, but even after that it still heats up quite fast.
the idle temperature is 50° even with chrome closed and barely any other apps open , and while playing the temperature goes up to 70° -72° C. (Im kinda aware that 70° or below 80° is normal for laptops)
The Cpu usage never goes above 10% even while playing , but this all started after installing geforce experience just in case it had any helpful features for games and stuff, it may or may not just be a coincidence, (I'm using a cooling pad obviously)
the specs are.
-CPU -> I7-7700HQ 2.80GHZ
-GPU -> 1060 with Max-Q design
  • 8 gb of ram
  • windows 10 64x bits
and the laptop is a HP Omen 15-005nl.
( sorry for my bad english :p)

Jun 7, 2019
Have you tried uninstalling GeForce Experience or rolling back your GPU driver to a previous version? What temperatures were you seeing before the problem started?
I did uninstall geforce experience, but I read that rolling back your gpu driver can be dangerous ,so I didn't try that

VIVO-US

Honorable
Feb 1, 2017
The middle of your laptop is where the CPU, GPU, RAM, chipset and Wifi are all located. There are 3 heat pipes going to 2 main heatsinks with 2 fans keeping it cool, so it has a very good cooling system compared to most laptops. Can you see if both of the fans are working?

If you need to get inside to see the parts better, it is very easy to remove the bottom cover from the laptop. To do it, simply remove the 10 screws visible on the bottom, then pry the cover up starting from the back until the whole thing comes up.

VIVO-US

Honorable
Feb 1, 2017
Also, there are a couple settings you can check that might help. To get to the settings:
  1. Right-click the Windows (Start) icon.
  2. Select Power Options.
  3. Click Additional power settings on the right of the menu.
  4. Go to Change plan settings on the new menu that pops up.
  5. Go to Change advanced power settings.
  6. In the new window, click the + icon for Processor power management.
  7. Go to System cooling policy and make sure it's set to "Active".
  8. If needed, also check Maximum processor state and reduce it to 99% if it's currently at 100%.
  9. Click "Apply", and hopefully the temperatures will drop!

Jun 7, 2019
The middle of your laptop is where the CPU, GPU, RAM, chipset and Wifi are all located. There are 3 heat pipes going to 2 main heatsinks with 2 fans keeping it cool, so it has a very good cooling system compared to most laptops. Can you see if both of the fans are working?

If you need to get inside to see the parts better, it is very easy to remove the bottom cover from the laptop. To do it, simply remove the 10 screws visible on the bottom, then pry the cover up starting from the back until the whole thing comes up.
both fans are spinning without any problem.
Also, there are a couple settings you can check that might help. To get to the settings:
  1. Right-click the Windows (Start) icon.
  2. Select Power Options.
  3. Click Additional power settings on the right of the menu.
  4. Go to Change plan settings on the new menu that pops up.
  5. Go to Change advanced power settings.
  6. In the new window, click the + icon for Processor power management.
  7. Go to System cooling policy and make sure it's set to "Active".
  8. If needed, also check Maximum processor state and reduce it to 99% if it's currently at 100%.
  9. Click "Apply", and hopefully the temperatures will drop!
still warming up really fast, I may just try to rollback the gpu driver tho I'm not really aware on how to do it.

VIVO-US

Honorable
Feb 1, 2017
Nvidia usually keeps some of their older drivers available for download in case there's a problem. To roll back your driver, download but do not yet install an older version for your laptop's GPU from their website (https://www.geforce.com/drivers). Manually uninstall and delete the graphics driver from the Device Manager, then restart the computer if necessary. After that, run the downloaded Nvidia driver installer. That will hopefully fix it!

Jun 7, 2019
Nvidia usually keeps some of their older drivers available for download in case there's a problem. To roll back your driver, download but do not yet install an older version for your laptop's GPU from their website (https://www.geforce.com/drivers). Manually uninstall and delete the graphics driver from the Device Manager, then restart the computer if necessary. After that, run the downloaded Nvidia driver installer. That will hopefully fix it!
I did that once a couple of months back with my old setup, ended up breaking my gpu , even after manually uninstalling the driver

Jun 7, 2019
so I opened up my laptop to check if my fans are working and they work just fine , but the idle temperature still sticks to 55-62 with 1 or 2 chrome tabs and nothing else open

Thats not that bad of temps.
I have a asus tuf fx504gm with the 8th gen 8750h and a gtx 1060.
I undervolted it to -.150v with intel xtu
And run my fans on balanced for daily tasks and surfing and overboost for gaming.
But i still wanted a better fan / stand and made 1 using plexiglass/lexan from a hardware store and parts i had.
So it's got 2x120mm fans covering both sets of intake vents, variable speed control and sits 1in tall front and 2 1/2 in back for plenty of airflow AND YES some extra Beneficial noise.
My temps 43c-48c idle cpu
Cpu gaming 53c-65c
Gpu gaming ghost recon on high settings
62c-72c.
Keep in mind your ambient room temp
Will have an affect on temps.

If your cooling pad has a fan or fans then yes find a way to elevate it especially if you can't adjust the fan speed on the cooler.

Btw check if your command center allows you to adjust fan speeds.

If you feel you want a better cooling solution check this review out
https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/best-laptop-coolers

Jun 7, 2019
And run my fans on balanced for daily tasks and surfing and overboost for gaming.
But i still wanted a better fan / stand and made 1 using plexiglass/lexan from a hardware store and parts i had.
So it's got 2x120mm fans covering both sets of intake vents, variable speed control and sits 1in tall front and 2 1/2 in back for plenty of airflow AND YES some extra Beneficial noise.
Cpu gaming 53c-65c
62c-72c.

If your cooling pad has a fan or fans then yes find a way to elevate it especially if you can't adjust the fan speed on the cooler.

my room is quite warm especially now because of summer, and no the command center doesn't allow me to control my fan speed , only newer models have that option if Im right, but I'm probably going to buy a new colling pad , one from cooler master if Im right, and I will try to elevate the laptop from the colling pad

Jun 7, 2019
now my cpu utilization never goes back to 10% ,checked what app caused that from task manager aand it was the system , and with that I got a blue screen while playing , watchdog violation or something.

Jun 7, 2019
Cpu gaming 53c-65c
62c-72c.

that cooling pad is quite expensive , never seen a colling pad that costs more than 30 euros

In that review it reviewed 12 different coolers so you can get some kind of an idea of what you can do based on your budget.

On that review look for the next button to view the rest.
If you only looked at the 1st page that is more or less the top of the line of the review.

The 1 problem i see is not picking the right 1 so the air intake vents aren't blocked.
Thats why i made mine. It's not pretty by any means but it gets air in.

Try placing a book or 2x pop/water bottle cap under the back end 1 on each corner of the laptop if your cooler doesn't have fans if it does then put them under it if possible.
Then do what you were doing to get your temp readings see if it helps.
The intel xtu is real simple to use and will help lower the temp also.

Sorry didn't see your post did you install a older gpu driver version or the xtu undervolting too much?

May need to run ddu from safe mode again
Then reinstall nvidia's current driver using custom install for a clean install option.

on the 10% please explan more where and when you are seeing this.

If seeing that in task manager at basically ideal and started after you changed the min p state in the power plan that is normal AS LONG AS the cpu utilization goes up over that 10% when you say open and run a task.

By changing the p. State in power plan
You allow the cpu to have a break while ideal but stands ready to boost itself as soon as you open something.

Jun 7, 2019
Sorry didn't see your post did you install a older gpu driver version or the xtu undervolting too much?

May need to run ddu from safe mode again
Then reinstall nvidia's current driver using custom install for a clean install option.

on the 10% please explan more where and when you are seeing this.

If seeing that in task manager at basically ideal and started after you changed the min p state in the power plan that is normal AS LONG AS the cpu utilization goes up over that 10% when you say open and run a task.

By changing the p. State in power plan
You allow the cpu to have a break while ideal but stands ready to boost itself as soon as you open something.
oh about that gpu driver , I updated it from geforce experience, and I think that after doing that my pc heats up slightly faster , about reinstalling the gpu driver with ddu I may just skip that because I had to do that once cause my gpu was acting weird ,and after doing that It just decided to die on me , maybe a coincidence maybe not. and I check the cpu usage with task manager , tho Im not sure what p state means

Jun 7, 2019
This will help explain the min processor power state == p state

I have had nvidia installs that for some reason i may never know would not do a custom and had to use express install but the very next up do the custom clean.
oh I lowered my p state to 99% and it kinda helped a bit , but I'm probably going to skip trying to install another nvidia driver , don't really want to mess something up : P