Question Laptop internals swap?

zdrfeelgoodz

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2012
I've found myself in an interesting position. I have two Acer Nitro 5s on the way. One is pretty physically damaged with a cracked screen but it does run fine apparently, with an i5 7300hq and a 1050ti. The other is in much better shape, but is the Ryzen model with the 2500u and 560x.

I'm going to sell one of these machines, and I know the intel machine is a good bit more powerful, so I'd like to keep it but in the nicer chassis. I know this is gonna be a niche question, but is there any sort of consensus on switching the internals of two laptops that are virtually the same model? Good idea? Bad idea? Am I dumb for wanting to try it?

RealBeast

Titan
I've found myself in an interesting position. I have two Acer Nitro 5s on the way. One is pretty physically damaged with a cracked screen but it does run fine apparently, with an i5 7300hq and a 1050ti. The other is in much better shape, but is the Ryzen model with the 2500u and 560x.

I'm going to sell one of these machines, and I know the intel machine is a good bit more powerful, so I'd like to keep it but in the nicer chassis. I know this is gonna be a niche question, but is there any sort of consensus on switching the internals of two laptops that are virtually the same model? Good idea? Bad idea? Am I dumb for wanting to try it?
I work on laptops a lot and it can be quite a bit of work but very doable.
It really helps to have a copy of the service manual if available (I usually work on Dell models and they have the manuals on their support site for download).
If this is your first foray into major laptop work use a phone camera to take pictures often so that you have a reference for the order and direction of parts as they usually come out in multiple layers and it doesn't always make logical sense. Also, double check every connection on the rebuild, as it really sucks to get it together and figure out that you missed one and have to go back in.
Good luck!

Reactions: zdrfeelgoodz