Question laptop keeps shutting off when playing games

Jul 11, 2022
hello, I installed a Nvidia GTX 675M on my Alienware m17x r2. Every time I play games, the laptop keeps shutting off (and restarts) when the gpu temperature is around 80c-90c, with a gpu load around 55%-78% usage. I know those temps are in the moderate zone for gaming, but I can’t figure out why it keeps shutting off. Ive been reading my temps with HWinfo64. I am also using a 240 watt dell charger. (I also have a 180w and 330W)
please help!
specs: i7-920XM
16gb ddr3 ram
1tb hdd
gtx 675m 2gb

COLGeek

Cybernaut
What GPU did you have installed before the current one?

This sounds like a classic heat and/or power issue.

When you installed the current GPU, did you re-use the thermal pads from the original GPU? If so, that could be the issue. 90C is quite hot.

Jul 11, 2022
My previous graphics card was an AMD radeon hd 5870m 1gb, and I did do a repaste but still used the same pads (since i dont have anything else to use). I also have an m18x r2 with dual gtx 675m’s and they too can reach up to 90c when gaming, but the laptop doesn’t shut off and restart like my m17x r2.

your housing and power isn't sufficient to run this card

5870M 50 watts
675M 100 watts

so there is a power delivery issue paired with a heat dissipation issue.

My solution involves a dremel tool and some underclocking

thats the best I can do for you.

start with some holes near the intake then make your way to the nvsoftware

and now to make a....fool.... "user edit" of myself.

Did you use DDU?

There is so much power saving and optimization software involved you certainly need to have done this.

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

edit 2

sell what you have/had for as much as you can and find yourself a used laptop with a gtx9600 or better and some old terrible cpu which will most certainly outperform what you have by slightly less than an order of magnitude.

Jul 11, 2022
I have used DDU to unistall my previous card and selected the one where it said “for installing new graphics card”. I also changed out the thermal paste and pads once again. After I did so, the laptop just kept shutting down once I hit the lock screen (on windows). I’m honestly not sure why. But after some time, I ran some games and I noticed that my temps are 10c lower than average. I’ve only seen it shut down once it hit around 88c-91c. I can under clock the card using msi after-burner, but I can’t really change anything else since it wouldn’t let me. I am aware that my gtx 675m is a 100w and the radeon is. 55 watt, but I don’t really have any other working card for this laptop lol. I do have a 330w adapter, but the m17x r2 doesn’t recognize it, and the computer would just run at very low performance and speed. I also ordered a replacement card (a hd 5870) and it ended up being defective. Since I have 2 alienware m18x’s, I decided to just take out the spare gtx 675m and slap it into the m17x r2 (since I don’t have anything else to use).

(Also this m17x r2 laptop is just for a project. I’ve seen people out there putting newer mxm cards in older alienware laptops so I wanted to try it myself)

Last edited: