Question Laptop keyboard weird behavior

Apocalypsemk

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2011
I've had my ASUS GL552VW for around 3 years now and it was working fine enough most of the time.

Today I turn it on (from sleep) and suddenly noticed a weird keyboard behavior. Once a pressed certain keys, the slash ("/") key started typing repeatedly.

From what I was able to tell the affected keys are: q x c v m , . ' right-shift right-ctrl, right-alt, numpad enter key

So what I press one of these keys the following happens, for instance when pressing Q: q////////////////
or when pressing X: x/////////////

The "/" key however is not working, nothing happens if I try to press it.... Also, the typing of the / from other keys stops if I press any key.

What I tried:
Removing the cap, cleaning the membrane around
Opening up the laptop to check the cable going to the motherboard, although there is no reason for it to be damaged since I haven't done anything to the laptop... no water spilled or pressed hard or smashed the keyboard, just regular day use.
Going into BIOS to check if it was OS related, it wasn't since it did the same on the BIOS password input as well

Any tips on this?

Thanks in advance

PS: in case anyone was wondering I typed this on the cheapest USB keyboard on the planet which I'm using as a replacement (which works fine)

Apocalypsemk

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2011
It could be your new keyboard is faulty? Did you purchase this brand new or was it used? You might want to check the warranty so you can get it replaced asap without paying out of pocket.

You misunderstood.... or perhaps I explained it badly....
The new external USB keyboard is working fine with no issues, the laptop keyboard (which is 3 years old) is the one faulty.... If it was the external I would have gotten a new one np...

On the other hand the internal one is a whole module with rivets and I'm not even sure if it's replaceable or I'd have to replace the entire front panel :/

Apr 3, 2019
It could be your new keyboard is faulty? Did you purchase this brand new or was it used? You might want to check the warranty so you can get it replaced asap without paying out of pocket.
Probably doesn't have warranty anymore since hes had it for 3 years.

Try disconnected the battery power and the keyboard ribbon for a few hours and re connect.

Based on your troubleshooting, it's probably a faulty keyboard. Simple answer, I know, but keyboard can (and do) fail in this way quite often, usually a problem with the circuitry.

Worst case would be a fault with the keyboard controller on the main board, but I doubt that's your issue here.