Question Laptop motherboard for lil pc project

Apr 30, 2024
Hey there!

I recently have been looking for a cheap system that can host my plex server, and sometimes be able to play games on a 4k tv, and I would prefer it to be of a smaller form factor, BUT, I don't want to build a pc (as I'd like the system to be flat)

I was looking around at gaming laptops with broken displays, and replacement motherboards, and prices are quite nice (£200 for an Acer nitro 5 motherboard with 5600h and a 3060). I've watched a few videos on this, and they all seem to work just fine, however, if I were to go and purchase an Acer Nitro 5 mb perse, would I be able to get it working without its chassis (kb and tp) and an original display? I read somewhere that installing an OS would be impossible if there were no drivers to begin with, which has confused me quite a lot, hence this post.

Thank you!!

TLDR: Can I build flat pc, with laptop motherboard, without the components it needs to be a laptop?

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

if I were to go and purchase an Acer Nitro 5 mb perse, would I be able to get it working without its chassis (kb and tp)
You could by using a salvaged button from another laptop(of the same design since the ribbon cable is not the same for all laptops) though it'd be best if you were able to pick up a laptop with a broken screen and you can have the lid closed while hooked to your TV.
^ similar guideline, but if you had the power button outside while the laptop is closed, that could work.

I read somewhere that installing an OS would be impossible if there were no drivers to begin with, which has confused me quite a lot, hence this post.
You'd need to find the SKU to the laptop in order to hunt down the driver's support page per the laptop maker's support site, then source drivers to install after the OS install. Windows 10 onwards are tied with your BIOS so if you have an incompatibility or a BSoD issue, you won't be able to resolve it if the board doesn't have BIOS support(going back to the support page).

You will still need storage, ram and the ribbon cable for the power button besides having access to a USB driven keyboard and mouse. Can't say if the peripherals will show up in BIOS without any hiccups since you might not be able to find the trackpad.

My 2 cents, you'll be putting effort into something that would be best spent into a new SFF build.

Reactions: artk2219
Hey there!

I recently have been looking for a cheap system that can host my plex server, and sometimes be able to play games on a 4k tv, and I would prefer it to be of a smaller form factor, BUT, I don't want to build a pc (as I'd like the system to be flat)

I was looking around at gaming laptops with broken displays, and replacement motherboards, and prices are quite nice (£200 for an Acer nitro 5 motherboard with 5600h and a 3060). I've watched a few videos on this, and they all seem to work just fine, however, if I were to go and purchase an Acer Nitro 5 mb perse, would I be able to get it working without its chassis (kb and tp) and an original display? I read somewhere that installing an OS would be impossible if there were no drivers to begin with, which has confused me quite a lot, hence this post.

Thank you!!

TLDR: Can I build flat pc, with laptop motherboard, without the components it needs to be a laptop?
Yep, its possible to build something with a laptop board, people have been doing it for years, the biggest thing is to make sure you use the plug for the cpu cooler otherwise itll freak out about not having a cpu cooler installed. As mentioned you'll likely have to take the power button as well since finding a replacement can be a little annoying, and youll need the power adapter for it. But its a project thats been done before, you can also swap out the wifi card for more internal storage and just use ethernet, or a usb wifi adapter, if you convert the wifi A or E key slot to a standard m.2.

Wifi to m.2 adapter

Laptop to all in one