Question Laptop network driver malfunction intel wifi 6 ax201 160mhz

Mar 23, 2024
Got a difficult one for all of you... I'm stumped

I'm calling this "open software" because this is driver related.

I have a Gatway Gaming laptop that I bought 2nd hand, looks to be in great condition and has a GTX 2060 which was one of my considerations.

Anyways, after I got the laptop the network was very intermittent. It would drop packets constantly and downloads would be interrupted and it was very frustrating.

Upon a lot of research, and tests, the network card that's in the laptop is a
intel wifi 6 ax201 160mhz

I'm on windows 10 home
GPU is a gtx 2060
GWTN141 model number laptop

Although there was various complaints regarding this NIC, no one had a solution.

It happens all the time intermittently even with ethernet. Connection drops, anything that's downloaded is interrupted.

I went through various different drivers, Uninstalled all drivers, did a clean OS install multiple times, but the base driver is corrupted or doesn't work properly.

I tried ethernet, same thing.

I booted into safe mode with networking, and it worked perfectly on ethernet then, but not before.. So there's some driver that messing it up.

Right now I'm uninstalling driver after driver and going 1 after another to see if there's 1 that works.

I also loaded the most recent intel wifi 6 ax201 160mhz driver for it and did a cold reboot, discharged battery and held power for 15s-25s
Still no dice.

If anyone can please help me with this I'd really appreciate it.

Mar 23, 2024
and your network work fine on another pc/laptop?
Yes! I have 2 other laptops that I have tested with that are perfected, including my phone.

I mentioned in my post as well that when I go to safe mode with networking, everything works perfectly when I plug into ethernet.
But when I boot normally, ethernet and wifi both have the issues again

Also to note, the driver in "events" shows "driver is working as normal"

Mar 23, 2024
check what utility is running on the laptop.
What do you mean? Or how do I check that? Because it's a fresh install of windows 10
There's no software or utilities on the laptop

Is there anyway of catching why the nic is dropping constantly? Like logs or error messages?

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2024
if safemode working fine. something is running on your regular install
The moment windows 10 was installed and it logged in after first setup, I paused windows updates and went to service and stopped the windows update service.
So I ensured nothing additional was installed on the pc.
However, to my surprise the laptop was able to search to access points and connect via wifi. That means that either the nic is running natively without additional drivers somehow? Or it's using the generic windows 10 drivers that come with the OS? So both of those things are confusing to me.

But I didn't install anything additional.

Mar 23, 2024
I have an update. I bought a USB network adapter and disabled my current NIC. It's still doing the same thing.

I've never been this confused by a issue before. Please help. Bad component? Do we just replace the motherboard or trash the laptop?

Mar 23, 2024
So far the absolute only time it's working is safe mode with networking.
Even though I have gone through the services and disabled everything and enabled network services and only critical Services onr a a time. I think maybe the wireless service breaks it, because when that's off, it works via ethernet.

So is the nic bad?