Question Laptop not reading USB-C as external display ?

phillies2526

Honorable
Nov 22, 2018
I am trying to plug my Windows 11 laptop into an external display via usb-c port. I have done this many times before but I am having issues with it today. I plug in the cable and my laptop makes a noise (confirming to some extent that it knows its been plugged into). But it doesn't automatically cast onto the external display and when I click "detect" in the settings nothing happens. I have checked all my drivers and they are fine.

I am trying to plug my Windows 11 laptop into an external display via usb-c port. I have done this many times before but I am having issues with it today. I plug in the cable and my laptop makes a noise (confirming to some extent that it knows its been plugged into). But it doesn't automatically cast onto the external display and when I click "detect" in the settings nothing happens. I have checked all my drivers and they are fine.
Try another cable. Check the screen resolution. Try charging a phone or something from the same USB-C port and see if it connects.

phillies2526

Honorable
Nov 22, 2018
I used to cable on my roommate's laptop and it worked perfectly fine. I just used the same usb-c port to charge my phone and that worked as well. It just seems like my laptop isn't recognizing that it's being plugged into a display.

Andrew Fox

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2015
Dumb question but if you hold windows key and press P to open the project menu is it set to extend/duplicate? On very rare occasions I have seen this somehow reset to "pc screen only"

You can also try pressing Win+Ctrl+Shift+B to reset your graphics driver.