[SOLVED] Laptop not turning on ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rafalex347

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2014
Hey all,

My laptop stopped working a week ago. When I go to press the power button nothing happens, no lights or anything, even when plugging in the charger, there would usually be a small LED lighting up on the side, but that does not happen either.

The laptop is Dell Inspiron 14 7420

I have followed the Troubleshooting Power Issues with Your Laptop guide. This resulted in the laptop now responding to the pressing of the power button, as I can now turn it on and the keyboard back light comes on, and the fans spin up when running for a longer amount of time. I can also turn it off with the power button. However, still no response on screen, even when plugged into my TV through HDMI.

Last edited:
Solution
You can try and remove your boot drive from the laptop and see if you're able to at least see BIOS. If you don't, you should disconnect from the wall, disconnect the internal battery, then remove the sticks of ram, press and hold down the power button for 30secs, wipe the sticks of ram in your laptop with an eraser, wipe clean then try with one stick first, if you have two to work with.

Lutfij

Titan
You can try and remove your boot drive from the laptop and see if you're able to at least see BIOS. If you don't, you should disconnect from the wall, disconnect the internal battery, then remove the sticks of ram, press and hold down the power button for 30secs, wipe the sticks of ram in your laptop with an eraser, wipe clean then try with one stick first, if you have two to work with.

Reactions: rafalex347
Solution

baboma

Notable
Nov 3, 2022
Get the 7420 service manual

https://goo.gl/search?dell+inspiron+7420+service+manual

See if you can get any blink code from the power & batt status lights. If yes, compare them to those listed in the Troubleshooting section. It won't fix the issue, but it can narrow it down.

If you get nothing, sorry to say, but likely a power component has failed and you're probably SOL. You can try checking if the charger is good with a multimeter (plug it into AC and check output). It's a long shot.

You can try casing eBay for an identical 7420 but with broken screen, then swap out the system board. Depending on the 7420's model year, it may have enough remaining value to justify the expense.

Reactions: rafalex347

rafalex347

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2014
Get the 7420 service manual

https://goo.gl/search?dell+inspiron+7420+service+manual

See if you can get any blink code from the power & batt status lights. If yes, compare them to those listed in the Troubleshooting section. It won't fix the issue, but it can narrow it down.

If you get nothing, sorry to say, but likely a power component has failed and you're probably SOL. You can try checking if the charger is good with a multimeter (plug it into AC and check output). It's a long shot.

You can try casing eBay for an identical 7420 but with broken screen, then swap out the system board. Depending on the 7420's model year, it may have enough remaining value to justify the expense.
Sorry for the late reply. The code I am getting from the batt status lights is 2,4 which seems to indicate memory/RAM failure.

rafalex347

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2014
Cleaning the RAM has worked. Thank you very much for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS