Question Laptop not working after changing some settings - - - Error code: 0x0000221 ?

jhi3600

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2016
HP Spectre laptop running Windows 11.

I was going to do a scan of my wife's laptop. While setting up the scan I had a dialog box saying that I had software that was blocking the scan from going further. The dialog box said it was McAfee software which is not being used on that particular computer. I went into my Ccleaner and cleaned out the McAfee app and had to reboot as per the instructions. When I rebooted the computer again I had a blue screen and there was no pin box, just a message:

" Something happened and your pin isn't available click to set up your pin again"

AND:

" Couldn't turn on the camera".

I went on the Internet and there were solutions to this problem but in doing the solutions the files were not exactly like the instructions. Finally, I considered reinstalling Windows but received a message stating that to reinstall, without losing files, one must do it once your current Window app is running. I don't want to lose the files if possible. Please advise.

I tried to install a SanDisk that I created with Win 11 but it created more problems. See below. This screen opens and then after a minute
or so closes. I have not tried the F keys. Please Help.

RECOVERY

"Your device PC/DEVICE needs to be repaired. The header checksum for this file doesn't match the completed checksum"

File: \Windows\system32\winload.efi

Error code: 0x0000221

You need to use the recovery tools.

"If you don't have any installation media like a disk or USB device contact your PC 's administrator or PC device manufacturer".

Press enter to try again.

Press F1 to enter the recovery environment

Press F8 for startup settings

Press ESC for UEFI Firmware settings

Press F9 to use a different operating system

I guess I’ll have to take it in for repair unless you (or another forum member have a solution).

Thanks .

Cyberat_88

Distinguished
This "scan" software sounds suspicious to me, usually name brands may hit each other but not outright say it's in the way. I think you just ran with a virus. Can you even get into safe mode anymore ?
McAfee has hooks like Kaspersky and cannot be outright removed by a Virus. In fact you would need the McAfee Remover to completely uninstall the software.
Saving your files, if still there is easy, but you still need a reliable anti-virus, because they maybe already infected. I am presuming you know the difference between files you saved/created vs. programs that would need re-installation. What you need to do is run with a Live USB OS Win 10/11 or Linux, even better if Hirens as it may have some virus scanners on it. What you need to do is scan C:\Users\<Username> (replace that with yours) and once found clean, back it up to another storage device. This again will not save your installed programs. If you have a download folder that is specific, or any work folder not in Users or Desktop, scan and back that up too, you'll have whatever installers that were saved there and/or your work files. Then you can freely wipe the partition, format new, and install a clean OS.