Question Laptop only turns on properly when LCD cable is disconnected

Salamandar

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2013
My laptop is an acer predator helios 300 g3-571, I had a problem yesterday when my laptop turned off unexpectedly. When i pressed the power switch, the blue light would appear for 2 seconds and the fans would spin along with keyboard backlight, then it all turned off.
Today i decided to open it up and take all wires out, then insert them in one by one to find the culprit. It turns out that the LCD wire, when inserted.. made the PC do just as i mentioned. Is this a damaged LCD cable or something more serious?

Tfo052

Reputable
Dec 23, 2016
Hello, I have had this exact issue with another Acer laptop and I discovered that it was actuallyeither the lcd or lcd cable. When I replaced them, it did work so I suspect in your case it is either the cable or LCD and should not be something more serious like motherboard failure. If you have a screen with the same 30 pin connector you can test it to check if it is the cable or the display. Otherwise I would not know how to test if it is the cable or lcd that is failing..

Salamandar

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2013
I've just ordered a new LCD cable! Right now i'm using a hdmi and it works fine. Everything comes up. I do hope it is not the LCD itself as i'll have to pay more. I do know that the LCD cable is likely damaged from the hinge, as i have replaced the bezel due to it wearing down and maybe the LCD cable is being hit because the hinges on this laptop are hardly even functional! I can let you know what happens but thanks for a bit more relief! :)